Formatting and copying games

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Tendo, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Offline

Tendo Community Member

I'm planning to format my pc today and I am wondering if i can just copy my game files to my extern drive and paste em back on the system after its formatted?

Will this have an impact on the performance of the games as they aren't really "installed" on the system itself I think?

My pc just got soo slow itself, not only SW, but msn loading time for example is 3min+ , word constantly freezes up as do a lot of other programs.
  2. Offline

adagio Moderator

Some games will but most need a reg file to work. Steam will back up most of your games for you and allow you to place them where ever. Also remember to back up your games saves in the documents folder or you could lose all that info. Nothing worse than installing a game and not having the game saves backed up.
  3. Offline

Tent Community Member

This is where partitions come in play.
    If you have a C:\ and a D:\ disk drive and you install all your games on D:\
    You can choose to leave D:\ untouched during a re-installation.

Not all games like this though, savegames are often stored on the C:\ drive (My Games, my documents and such).
    In your case I would make a complete backup of the C:\ drive before re-installing, so you are sure you won't lose any data.

Copying game files works just fine for SWTOR btw.
    Only some game settings will be reset thankfully important things like key bindings are saved server side.
  4. Offline

Tendo Community Member

I do have that, games and videos are on my D and windows etc on C, BUT indeed my reg files/ save games and things that are sometimes needed for games are on C :/

Also, but off topic, but which windows 7 version you guys would suggest?
  5. Offline

adagio Moderator

Depends on how much memory you have? Below 4gbs you may aswell stick with a 32bit version of home. Over 4gbs go for a 64bit version of ultimate or whatever they renamed it too.
  6. Offline

Tent Community Member

I'm usually running Professional, but that's because I get the licences for free.
    Ultimate only has bitlocker, I find truecrypt to be better anyway.

So grab Professional or Premium I guess

Edit:

I would also grab a 64 bit version.
    Even if you're at or below 4Gb of RAM this will leave the option to add in some more memory open.
    Memory is dirt cheap these days anyway.
  7. Offline

Feidan Community Member

I'm using Ultimate 32 bit. The only problem I have encountered is that MSE and maybe something else doesn't like utorrent and will fuck up your sound and make it cracking noise whenever utorrent is working. It took me weeks to accidentally find out why my sound was fucked up. Probably not a common issue.
  8. Offline

Tent Community Member

Fairly common, heard of quite some people with the same problem.
    And Utorrent is the problem here.

I believe it can do that when it's sending too many hardware interrupts.
  9. Offline

Feidan Community Member

Been searching tech support and google with all kinds of ways to describe the problem but was out of luck the whole time. Even got another external sound card.
  10. Offline

Tendo Community Member

Got 8 gig and using 64 bit atm ye.

Thanks for the advice!
  11. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

Why do you guys use Torrents? :( warez sites are much better and faster! :D
  12. Offline

Feidan Community Member

mIRC>all