First SSD

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Alarisia, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Offline

Alarisia Community Member

So I recently have been thinking about getting an SSD and was on newegg today browsing stuff and saw http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1612-_-EMC-031612-Index-_-SSD-_-20227766-L02A. I was wondering if it was a decent one for what I would be using it for which is mainly gaming. I don't know like anything about SSD's so I was looking for some advice. If there is anything else around that price range and is better I would be open to that as well. I just plan to have my OS installed on it and 1 or 2 games at a time.
  2. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

adagio just bought a couple of SSD's parker, maybe he can give some input.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Forum Runner
  3. Offline

I've narrowed it down to 3, still trying to decide. I keep hearing bad things about SandForce controllers. These are the ones I'm looking at now though, OCZ, Crucial, Corsair, as well as the one in the first post I made. I don't want to go much over $160 and I want at least 120GB.
  4. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Crucial M4 uses the Marvell controller, not SandForce. Whether the OCZ Octane is good is still a bit unsure, it's very new so no idea if it is reliable or not but it has a better price/performance ratio than the Vertex series.
  5. Offline

Yeah I think Crucial M4 might be the best option for the price/reliability. Plus the benchmarks aren't bad either. I was looking at the OCZ Octane because of the price but it's new so not sure if I want to try it or not. Still debating on what to get.
  6. Offline

adagio Moderator

After reading all about the ssd's, my money went on the Crucial M4's in a raid set up. Must say I have been so impressed with them that I would recommend them to anyone whos interested in buying they're first ssd.

I've now owned ssd's from ocz, intel and crucial. All have been rock solid in performance but I haven't been blown away til now with the M4's speed. Photoshop will load in under a second and everything else is virtually instant. Even world holes in Minecraft are now banished from memory, they still used to appear om my other ssd's.
  7. Offline

Thanks for the input guys, I'm really leaning towards an M4 now. I was before because it looked so much more reliable but now I'm pretty sure. One more question for anyone that knows their stuff. Why is the "Sustained Sequential Write" speed so much slower on the Crucial than all the others with exception to the octane. The only big difference I notice is the sandforce controller. Not that I even really know what "Sustained Sequential Write" means but I'm just curious why it's different.
  8. Offline

adagio Moderator

Not sure where you read its slower than the others but some ssd manufacturers ie OCZ and intel. State they're maximum write/read speed is alot higher due to the fact its the highest speed it can reach.

Others take readings from a sustained run over time and use them as proof of speeds on websites. Heres how a famous english webseller lists its ssd's

intel 520 128gb
    - Capacity: 128GB
    - Controller: SandForce SF-2281
    - Maximum Read: 550MB/sec
    - Maximum Write: 505MB/sec

OCZ vertex 128gb
    - Capacity: 120GB
    - Controller: SandForce SF-2281
    - Maximum Read: 550MB/sec
    - Maximum Write: 500MB/sec

Crucial M4
    - Sequential Read (up to): 550MB/sec (SATA 6Gb/s)
    - Sequential Write (up to): 220MB/sec (SATA 6Gb/s)

Max read/write = max possible read/write speeds. If it says 300MB/s that could mean it hits 300MB/s for 1 second and then falls to 150MB/s.

Sustained read/write = highest continuous read/write speeds. Also not sure if the m4 controller is slowed down to have no possible errors whereas sandforce is all about speed.
  9. Offline

Thanks, yeah I don't think the write thing is as important anyways I was just curious. I think the read is what is the most important and that's super fast on the M4. I'm mainly looking at reliability because this is my first one and I don't want to mess with tons of troubleshooting to try to get it working. M4 looks like the way to go, thanks a lot for the input adagio and everyone else gave. You guys helped me a ton!