Firoz the nub producer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Firoz, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

Hey BOONies!
    I made this topic on a music producing forum, but you won't be able to read it unless you have an account.
    As you may know I am learning music producing.
    It wont probably be your style of music, but I wanted to share it anyway.
  2. Offline

Saul Community Member

You need to spend some time in my Studio Firoz.

MacBook Pro
    Ableton live / Rebirth / Cubase VST
    Akai MPK 49
    Clavia Nord Lead
    Mini Moog V3
    Focal CMS 40 Nearfield Monitors
    Native Instruments Maschine 1.6
    Mackie 24-4-4 Mixing Desk
    Zoom RT-223
    Novation Base Station
    Novation Impulse
    3 years at the Manchester Midi School ( learning Midi Engineering, Studio Production)

I make predominantly Drum & Base, or Chilled Break Beat, the shit you see on the BBC advertising the next great series of whatever. Ive had my music published a few times, Blue Planet and other BBC Natural Histroy programes, Ive also been published an a couple of D&B /Break Beat Compiliations. Ive also worked with a few decent production teams in Brighton "Tru Thoughts", "Banobo", "Bent".

But Marriage and kids and a "Proper Job" kind of took over.
  3. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

Nice stuff there Saul! Wish I could buy some more hardware, but I dont have the budget atm. :p
    Do you work as a midi engineer now?
    I was planning to follow this course in a few years.
  4. Offline

Saul Community Member

Nooo.. Senior Systems Architect, more money in it :) Music was always a passion and a hobby, I never wanted it to become a job, I love it too much, to let pressure spoil it. I moved down to Brighton from Manchester to be part of the Break Beat scene in 2000, and meet like minded music producers.

I am in the studio every night but am just pissing about at the moment, unless I hit on a sequence I quite like then I'm in there for days until I Produce something. I have a 7 year old Girl and 2 year old Boy and now it's all about getting them involved and loving music and music production at an early age.
  5. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I'm sorry but I fucking loled. :giggle:
  6. Offline

Ketz Veteran BOON

It could have been "Bumder" :rofl:
  7. Offline

Saul Community Member

I Knew you would as I was writting it :)

Helped on the production of both of these.
  8. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Did you guys produce that song in an alcove Saul ? :p
  9. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

That's awesome Saul!
    A far away target for me, but eventually, I might reach it :p
    What actually did the MIDI school learn you about music creation itself?
  10. Offline

Saul Community Member

Because we both worked, we did 2 nights a week for nearly 3 years but we did 3 full courses in that time, They also have online courses now that may be of interest too you mate.

We did everything from Midi Mapping, Sound Engineering, Dance Production, We got exposure to like £120k Sound desks, and all the top new hardware. We got to listen in to some of the most famous UK Dance producers doing their stuff, etc, it was pretty awesome. The place itself is an old Cotton Mill off the Rochdale Road in Manchester and it is huge and now houses something like 30 different studios, some owned by the artists themselves.

http://www.midischool.com/courses

Well worth a look mate if your interested, it made a huge difference to the stuff we were producing, it helped me go from having 60+ 2min unfinished sound scapes to making full on professional 3/4/5/6 min tracks with depth and scale in all of them. You will still spend 2 days tweeking a single drum sequence though :)

Dude just saw your link to the Scouse school of music... dont bother mate, that course is too generic, you learn shit that is certificate standard only, go to the midi school and mix with real producers and music makers, and learn the tricks as well as just the shit you need to know to pass an exam. I would reccomend the Midi school as one of the best in the UK. MMS also have major links into a lot of Record lables mainstream and indi, and your course work includes the full production of 2 of your own tracks to CD, and MMS have Label people in all the time that they play your music too, if it's good you get signed. We got 2 D&B tracks selected for a North West Drum and Base compilation thanks to the Midi School.
  11. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

Wat did you do before that course? Did you explore the things on your own?

I searched around, but there is no such school in belgium, except SAE.
    I might look for something in the netherlands.

Btw, what do you think about my short track? good and clean sound creating and mixing?
  12. Offline

Saul Community Member

I started with a Roland MC303 Groove Box, it's a mini studio in a box, but I soon found it was limited, as I could not tweek as granular as I wanted and we could not map and manipulate the sound waves in midi format.

So I got my works Corporate American Express Creidt Card and maxxed it out on a Yamaha Sampler, a decent Workstation and Control Keyboard an effects processor and a 16 track mixing desk. Then stood staring at it with my mate and went.. "Fuck we better figure out how to use this shit", and pretty much got told about MMS straight away.

Compare the MC 303 from back in the day to what I use in it's place now.

I use the Maschine for live beat playing, Impressing my mates and the kids, and a Sampler and Sound bank, the single most amazing bit of kit in my studio, apart from the Nord Lead and thats cause nothing makes mental noises like a Nord Lead.
  13. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Never knew you were into this so much, quite impressed tbh. It's interesting to see more people on this website showing their creativity.
  14. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Yeah, lot of hidden secrets... So I'll share one of mine...
    Not many people know this,
    I pole dance for old ladies.... There I said it!

:D
    Very interesting stuff you 2, I love music and appreciate the minor things many people don't hear in a song so can fully understand spending weeks on 1 synth beat to perfect it.
  15. Offline

Saul Community Member

Lol you have no idea how many Reverbs there are, and If I am not mistaken "As You Fall", the synth and string sections are using a "Cupboard under the Stairs" Reverb, I kid you not, that is what it is called. My Fav however is a Bass Reverb simply called "Bollock Shattering".
  16. Offline

Shantotto Guest

The mid-late 90s called, they want their hardcore back.

:D

That said I did like it, was pretty clean on that short sample you posted.
  17. Offline

Saul Community Member

Ok Firoz..

For what it's worth...

Do the following then post up the results.

(At Present)
    The Synth Intro prior to the drums, you modulate it up from 3 to 6 seconds then bring in your rather floppy drums. from 6 to 13 seconds then have a little 2 second break and back to the floppy drums with a double tap at the begining.

So now do this.

Keep the sequence the same at the beginning, then at 6 seconds remove the drums, repeat the modulated synth for another full 4 bars, with reverse Cymbals instead of flabby drums and add a Crash at every other bar. Then at 13 Seconds keep the quieter bridge as it is with everything taken out apart form the Synth. Then at 15 seconds Add it all back in again, including your flabby drums, and the double tap, let it all roll for the full 11 seconds, not sure how many bars, cant be arsed to count. Then add your quieter bridge again at the end, for 4 bars, then go find some "ASS KICKING MEATY STAND UP AND TAKE NOTICE" bass drum, and add it to your flabby bass drum, let that run for 16 bars with the lot kicking off and re-post the results.
  18. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Needs wore wobbles!
  19. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

Sorry Saul, but it's hardstyle.
    My kick is not flabby. :p
    For hardcore it is.

This is a very popular hardstyle producer:
    @ 1.30

I did try to do what you did, but that's not really hardstylish. ;)
  20. Offline

Saul Community Member

Where is the BIG BANG in that track though?? They are overloading Synths over kick drums to the point of having the Synth act as the drums. No doubt that is part of the style of hardstyle, I dunno, I can't help on a genre I dont really follow or know, but if you are happy with the flappy drums maybe increase the synth 's volume over the top??

If you listen to this you will see there is a decent kick under the flabby drum, and no disrespect, but I never want to hear Hardstyle again :)

Good luck mate i'm sure you will do well.