Fathers Story of Woe

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Saul, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Offline

Saul Community Member

Just got off the phone with my Bank and iTunes.

I went to get some ciggies at lunch from work, and my card got rejected, so I checked my bank and nearly £216 of unauthorised transactions from iTunes was taken off my card on Saturday.

My initial alarm was shit SONY... fucking hackers have got on to my iTunes account, etc. So I phone bank, and try to get in contact with iTunes.

I leave work and come home to cancel every fucking thing I have (6 Credit Cards and 2 Debit Cards).

I kick off with my bank for being unable to query the charges and I kick off at the guy from iTunes who tells me it's a 24 hour email support for iTunes at best. I take my Credit Card details out of iTunes and start writting my (Unauthorised purchase email).

Whilst doing this I am prompted to look at my purchase history to register the purchase id's I am concerned about, only to find they are all for coins and vials in an iPhone app called "Tap Zoo".

so in short my 2 year old or my 6 year old has either by accident or on purpose downloaded £216 worth of shite to my iphone.

Whilst youe wiping the tears away from laughing soo much, do any of you guys know if I have the right to get this money back, the reason being normally if i buy anything from my iphone via iTunes I am asked for my itunes id and password, none of my kids understand this let alone know what it is, so this app seems to let you buy without proper authorisation. in short do i have a leg to stand on, or have i got to just man up and never let my kids even smell my iphone again??
  2. Offline

Merketh The MerkBot

Different law's in different countries so I can't say - I know similar things happenend in Sweden, and some got money back depending on how legit/serious the company was that sells the product.
  3. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

sell all thier toys in a garage sale to recoup the £216 and teach them a life lesson....
  4. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

I think this will come close to your problem http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/365014/how-children-run-up-huge-bills-on-free-iphone-games I doubt you'll be able to get your money back though :/.

Maybe you should watch over your kids shoulders a bit more if stuff like this happens, there's a lot of Click & Buy shit everywhere nowadays. Also wth why do you have 6 Creditcards? :p. Don't take it as criticism but advice, people are out there to scam you everywhere.

http://www.mactalk.com.au/59/92798-warning-tap-zoo-scam.html

A thread about it, seems to be a ridiculous app to say the least.

And more lol,

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...ne-game-cost-charlestown-dad-967/1941584.aspx

EDIT:
    Seems like they do refund, mind you that post is 1 year ago. #30 on the 2nd page on the mactalk forum link.
  5. Offline

Saul Community Member

Wow done a bit of research (thanks for the links Pete). What gets me though is the "lol dumb ass" type responses in some of those threads, the reason being.

1. every other app requests my id and password for itunes prior to in game, or appstore purchase.

2. what KIDS game has single in game purchases for $350

This app is a deliberate scam and Apple are condoning it, there should be no purchases from my phone without prior authorisation, it is just common sense.
  6. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Aye I agree completely, but in a world where people are opportunists there will always be exploiting. However I'm surprised Apple does so little about it, I imagine keeping an app like that around would cost more and cause more trouble than its worth.
  7. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

They will refund, as Streetview Labs should have made it so you need to authenticate your purchase etc etc with your itunes password - as every other game/app has too!
  8. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

I did the same thing as a really young kid, except not quite for that amount of money. You'd reckon it illegal but more often than not the hassle of getting a refund is much greater than just paying up.
  9. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Iphone's made out of wood back then? :p
  10. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Nokias and pixel art + games. Awww ye.
  11. Offline

Divinitas Community Member

thats fucking funny :p
  12. Offline

Shantotto Guest

13. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

@Saul - You got an update on this ? Did you get any money back ? Or is Saul Jr. not getting any pocket money for some time ?
  14. Offline

Saul Community Member

Still waiting on iTunes to respond. so far all they have done is send me receipts for the purchases since I sent my support email. so not looking good tbh.
  15. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Good luck with it dude, otherwise I sense there will be a new kid doing the paper route in your neighborhood...... unpaid...... for a long time.
  16. Offline

Saul Community Member

Nah, I sat down with her last night and asked her if she had bought any coins or vials, etc, when i lent her my phone and she admitted she did, but did not realise it was for real money, I then told her I did not blame her and it was not her fault, but the coins she bought cost daddy a lot of money, enough to buy her a couple of Wii's, she then cried her eyes out and was soo sorry , I just gave her a cuddle and told her it was the games fault not her's.

It's her Birthday on the 28th though, she aint getting fook all :)
  17. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Ha!!!
  18. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

This is rough! Hope you get your cash back, can't believe it's so easy to spend the money on a game obv kids play!
  19. Offline

Saul Community Member

I just got this from Itunes.. Ding Ding round 2.

Dear David,

Greetings from iTunes Store Customer Support! My name is Manjit and I am glad to assist you today.

I understand that you are concerned about the purchases made on your account without your knowledge. I can certainly realize how alarming that must be and I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

David, I checked your account very carefully and found that some In Apps of the free app "Tap Zoo" has been purchased. After reviewing the orders and comparing them with your previous purchases, it looks like the original free app was downloaded on the same device which you have used to make purchases in the past. An In App is a piece of content or service that can be purchased from within an application. This add on enhances the Application with additional features. To learn more about In Apps, please read the article below:

I of course have responded with a typical "Saul's Long Post", type reply, and managed to crowbar the word "Watchdog" into the mammoth, insulting, yet not directly, reply.
  20. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Saul, why are you so retarded not to understand what In Apps are, geez. I seriously hate generic responses like that. It's like phoning broadband support when your net is down and having some dude try to explain how the internet works like your retarded.

I hope you get your money back dude.