[F1] Formula 1 2011 Season Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aspira, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Anyone following the F1 this year ?

I am still watching it but the new rule changes have yet again made it more boring in my opinion.

Anyways, check out this video of Petrov in the Malaysian GP.

2. Offline

Blackspear "The Random"

Not that much since Kubica is in hospital :angry:
  3. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

I watched it but must admit when you don't care who wins it loses some excitement
  4. Offline

Mizou Community Member

its totally boring since a few years now... i can barely watch it and keep myself awake :( too many things changed and tbh its been now at least 6 years that i watched it with excitement and lots of beer
  5. Offline

TOMMCAT Veteran BOON

i keep watching F1 but i'm more attracted by Moto GP. Is far more captivating then F1
  6. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Yea it is shit now compared to a few years ago. Kinda sad when the highlight of the Malaysian GP was Petrov crashing. Just no excitement left in F1 but meh, still find myself with it on in the background on a Sunday. Used to be able to watch the WRC when F1 started to get shit but now that its even shitter than F1.

Seems D1GP (whatever the new name of that series will be) is the only fun and exciting motorsport left.
  7. Offline

Nerien "Bad Boy"

I used to watch it a lot with my brother and dad but when I moved for studies the fun kinda died off for some reason.
  8. Offline

Kammie Community Member

I enjoy it. Button 4tw
  9. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

i think the changes FIA implemented, made the sport a whole lot more accessible and competitive. Who would have thought that redbull would ever have a chance to win anything whatsoever ? The changes made the metagame shift so that the most powerfull teams wouldn't win all the time... That was more boring imo!
  10. Offline

Shantotto Guest

F1 was most boring during the Schumacher reign, it's been getting better since.
  11. Offline

Ketz Veteran BOON

F1 was superb when Senna and Mansell were up against each other figthing for the first place in every race and a young padawan named Schumacher was trying to leach a place in the podium. F1 died with Senna.
    MotoGP alll the way.
  12. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

@Ketz - Is the senna movie out yet btw ?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Forum Runner
  13. Offline

Ketz Veteran BOON

14. Offline

Divinitas Community Member

Best bit of formula 1 atm is watching Schumacher fail :)

In the season that Hamilton won i watched it a fair bit, but not really since then
  15. Offline

Shantotto Guest

I hope the Senna documentary comes out in cinemas here, would really love to go watch it on the big screen.
  16. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Yea ketz and agree shanto, I would go see that.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Forum Runner
  17. Offline

Ketz Veteran BOON

18. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

It wasn't just the fact that the teams were soooo competitive back then so you really didn't know who would win, its more to do with the rules. When you see old GP's they are so much more exciting because there was less restrictions, big engines, slick tyres, limited aero due to technology, it made the whole thing so much more exciting to watch. The genuine danger element within the sport was something that made it what it was.

If they really wanted to make F1 popular again they would put heavy restrictions on aerodynamic development and reduce limitations on pretty much everything else. Make a box and say "if your car fits in that box, and it abides to the aerodynamics rules, its legal". Then we would have the old days back and the sport would actually be exciting again, and not just 90% processional and 10% racing. Seems anything that is developed in F1 to make it interesting gets banned for the next season.

Oh, and another thing that annoys me... back in the day the winner would do doughnuts at the end of the race to celebrate..... how nice that engine limitations prevent seeing drivers express the joy of winning by spinning up the tyres in a cloud of smoke and screaming engines.
  19. Offline

Ketz Veteran BOON

Exactly that.
    With all the rules and limitations they took away the most important factor from F1 and MotoGp for that matter, they took away the individual's driver talent out of the picture.
    The way motorsport is being held today it doesnt matter if you are a mad driver that makes the crowds go wild like Colin Mcray, it doesnt matter if you are the most talented rider EVER like Valentino Rossi nor does it matter if you are God himslef driving an F1 like Senna. With all the Anti Spin and so on crap they implemented a monkey can be trained to drive an F1 and finish the race.
    Those who talk crap about Shummi i can see why they dont like him but the fact remains that he is to be respected. He raced against all the great ones, some times won and when the Zeitgeist cought up with them he claimed his throne and held on to it.
    The only reason his era came to an end was cause they destroyed the F1 with all their stupid new rules just to get him off his feet(since he just wouldnt loose) and made the whole sport accesible to anyone even though they didnt have enough talent for it.
  20. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Exactly Ketz. Motorsport in general is just terrible compared to what it was in the 70's, 80's hell even the 90's were decent. I mean F1 went from being a spectacle to being a recessional snooze-fest. Touring cars went from loads of manufacturers driving big RWD saloons you would actually want to buy, to being 2 or 3 manufacturers driving FWD shitboxes and all they do is crash into each other. Rally went from being the Group B where you saw driving talent and machinery the like of which has never been seen... 500+Bhp monsters ripping through a sea of spectators at full lock spitting fire, and which boundaries were pushed ever race to being what it is now.... a bunch of small engined hot hatches that nobody cares about. MotoGP, as you said and I agree, its becoming a joke now. Hell look at Le Mans, a motor racing spectacle, it went from starting the race by running to your car and all the cars being huge pantomime cars with huge engines and ridiculous top speeds, now the environmentalist and the heath and safety fags have got in about it you are seeing added speed traps, reduced engine sizes to cut race emissions..... cutting emissions during a motor race, are you fucking trolling or what ?

Anyways, Drift racing at the moment seems to be the only form of motor racing that still is fun to watch because anyone can win and there isn't a load of ridiculous rules to prevent development of crazy fast cars or "make it more accessible" which generally translates as dumbing it down.