External SSD

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Doodle, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

Hello Tech Heroes!

Im thinking of buying this http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=634597#extra and install Swtor on it. My purpose is to attempt to increase the loading times in game and hopefully make the game a bit more responsive.

I have a pretty good computer. its about a year old with more then enough juice to run swtor on max settings (no fps issues atm)

my question is.. should i buy this? will it make a difference? Am i even doing it right?

my computer knowledge is like.. 0
  2. Offline

Raizen Community Member

doodly ... external hard disk to run operative systems or games / application are bullshit... external are just for data imho... SSD is the new technology and if u buy an external SSD u just throw money coz u spend a lot for few space and half performance coz it have 260 mb/s for reading and writing... i have internal SSD and i have 580 mb/s reading and 550 mb/s writing . So if u want to increase the loading times in game and make it a bit more responsive then buy an internal SSD install on it just windows and games... rest of application such as office, teamspeak messenger ecc..ec.. u can install in ur 2nd hard drive .

i have 2 SSD OCZ VERTEX 3 in raid 0 and the performance are awesome!!

just watch in ur pocket and ask yourself how much u wanna spend :D :D , there are billion of solutions
  3. Offline

Mantle Veteran BOON

I always thought the bottle neck with most games was either the GFX card or the amount of RAM in your system.
  4. Offline

Raizen Community Member

they do their job... but all data.. all application evry single file has to be red on the hard disk :) and if the hard disk is fast all the rest of the process is faster ;)
  5. Offline

Mantle Veteran BOON

Might be an idea to post your PC specs to see if it's really worth it upgrading.
  6. Offline

Tent Community Member

If you are going for an SSD build it in your PC.
    It wont be of much use as an external drive.

You can even copy over your current windows installation to your SSD should you decide to go for one.
    If I were to buy an SSD right now, It would probably be an Intel 510 (have a 2 year old intel x25-m G2 now).
    I am very pleased with my current SSD, even though it only has 100mb/s throughput it had the best IOPS and access times when I got it.
    And in the end those 2 have more impact than throughput.

Even though your idea is possible, I would stay away from that thing you linked.
    They don't even list the brand or type or even IOPS of the drive insidie.
    And running on an external drive is just not a good idea.
  7. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Samsung, Intel, Crucial, or any SSD without a Sandforce Controller just so they atleast work for more then 2 months. With the new speeds they bring there's no point having one of these quick SSD's without a SATA 3/USB 3 connection.

USB 2 or SATA 2 will be too slow for the newest generation, check your motherboard what you actually have. If you still want a SSD but only have SATA 2 then you may as well get early generation SSD's like an Intel X-25.

2 vertex' in Raid is nice Raizen, but I doubt many will afford such a setup or even risk having it. Sandforce failure rates have been rather high, including Vertex 3.
  8. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

i have 2 usb 3.0 thingys

Core i5, 750 2,66ghz 8mb cache
    ATI radeon HD 5850 1024mb
    1TB, 32mb Cache SATA 3.0 gbit/s, 7200 rpm
    4gb ram ddr3 1333mhz, pc10600 (with 2 free slots actually, maybe should get more ram?)
    Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 mothercard
    550W Corsair VX 80+, CMPSU-550VXEU power supply

Above stuff tells me very little =P just is just basically a copy paste of my receipt.

should i just install another ssd harddrive in the box? (its an Antec Three Hundred) Probably not a job for me though
  9. Offline

Mantle Veteran BOON

If you're running windows 7 then yeah shove more ram in the machine, you'll probably see a better performance increase from that.
  10. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

yea i am considering that now, i have 64bit win7. the sticks are 2 2gb ram's.

Is it better to buy another set of 2 of the same brand (read somewhere ages ago that you should have the same brand and memory when buying additional ram) or just take them out completly and replace them with 4 sticks of something awesome (if so what do you suggest for gaming)

thx all!

oh and do you think i will have any power supply issues? (is this even a factor when buying more ram?)
  11. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Nah just buy the same brand if they're still available, if not well they aren't expensive anyway. Not much difference speedwise buying ''awesome'' RAM, although 1600mhz with some low timings is usually a small improvement, even more mhz is negligible.

RAM barely uses much power, don't worry. 550W 80+ is plenty of headroom for your system, you could even stick in a second 5850 without too much to worry about.

All in all, an SSD and some extra RAM will make it only slightly faster, the game itself is just a bit..slow.
  12. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

how do i find out what brand my Ram is alaisy :p
  13. Offline

Tal The Architect

14. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

An exact clone of my current OS? so I'd lose nothing? If so, how would you go about doing that? This is something i'd be very interested in.
  15. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

It would probably be easiest to just buy a set of 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile (1600mhz), they're good price/performance and they fit your system. Just remove the old RAM if its some OEM stuff.
  16. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

what is OEM stuff =P
  17. Offline

Mantle Veteran BOON

Ubranded generic ram, normally put in a PC if you bought in from the guy in the PC shop around the corner :p
  18. Offline

Tal The Architect

You can use clonezilla. Boot into a live CD and clone the drive.

Only caveat is that the partition you clone is equal to or less than the size of the new drive. You can just resize the partition beforehand though probably using gparted live cd.
  19. Offline

Tent Community Member

My my, You've never heard of ghosting / disk cloning?
    They can even be done live while running these days using VSS (not advised).

Some freeware tools out there, some paid tools.
    In the past Norton Ghost was the bomb, but they kind of lost it when they didn't have support for Windows Vista/7 in time.

But any sector by sector/full disk copy can do it.
  20. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!