Everyone loves vanilla

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Tvar, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

When mentioning "vanilla", everyone thinks of WoW. Many of you have good memories of it, many saying "WoW was excellent, it was best in vanilla", etc. So it's no wonder I want to share this now that I found it:

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/mmorpg-general-discussion/45608-rebirth-wow-vanilla-server-open.html

I'm going to check it out, to see how stable it is, if my memory serves me right, if it still holds up and is as fantastic as we remember it to be, or if memories just supercede reality by now and the game is infact just a drag. Who knows? One thing is for sure though, it would be a helluvalot more fun trying it with a group or two. All the epic 5-man dungeons, non-nerfed, from Diremaul, Scholo, Strat, L/UBRS, BRD - to those first raids of ZG, MC, BWL, AQ20/40 and Naxx.

Shit, I'm almost hooked already just writing this.
  2. Offline

adagio Moderator

How long will this server survive before the Blizz lawyers hit?
  3. Offline

Kephir Veteran BOON

OMFG LETS PLEH THIS GAEM AND GANK 24/7 THIS IS GONNA BE SO AWESOME DOING ALL THE DUNGEONS AND STUFF. to bad i dont have my cd's anymore :( anyone got some download link ? :D
  4. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Tbh I loved vanilla, but also Burning crusade. It's just that I played it so much I got bored, Wotlk was just plane rehashes and generally quite shit, cataclysm even more so. Going back would only ruin memories, best to leave it as nostalgia tbh. May think differently in 15 years but im glad I'm done with it.
  5. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

"loved" being the keyword, WoW vanilla was awesome because for most players it was first introduction to mmos, and the whole guild community feel, it was awesome 6 years ago but now I am sure it will be just meh to go back to it,, was awesome then but its more been there done that
  6. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

I really don't know if veanilla wow can feel that great now, 60AV might still though if people aren't retarded about it and try to just rush like nowadays..

I would also LOVE to see people having mental breakdowns trying to clear old naxx!
  7. Offline

adagio Moderator

What they should have done imo is taken every single dungeon made in wow and set it to lvl 60. Bumped up the hardness and made it a 5 man coop server without the boring lvling that was in vanilla wow. Simples.
  8. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

How's this working out for you Tvar?
  9. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

No you're not.
  10. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

11. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Working fine, I'm level 26 as an orc rogue. We got GOONs/yogs on the server, horde as well, so I'm thinking of joining up with that zerg to get raiding (Scholo, Strat, BRS, MC!?) asap. :)
    Server first BRD was done like two days ago, it's all good so far, been doing both WC and BFD old hardcore style. Had forgotten how slow leveling was, such a pain but it actually feels like an achievement when you accomplish stuff. This is how you make every "gather 10 wolf tails" quests feel epic. There is a pretty harsh threshhold that you gotta cross though, when everything feels shit, XP is slow and so is leveling, you're all alone with white gear and looking for Mankrik's wife...
  12. Offline

adagio Moderator

I think everyone forgets wows vanilla lvling was boring shit. The only thing it had in its favour was that it was new boring shit. Remember how long it took to do gnomeregon and maraudashit? That was without lfg.

Also quest that made you run through three zones just to be told to go back and relay a message.
  13. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Yup, I can hear you hate to love it still.
  14. Offline

adagio Moderator

I still love the game but blizzard make too many bizarre choices regarding classes that I don't care for the game anymore.

I mean the game has been with us now for 6-7 years but hardly stepped forward at all. It never pushes boundries. It by now should have had an island dedicated too guild forts and pvp. A pve/pvp system entirely different to each other. Classes balanced to within a inch of each other.

Instead you get the same old flavour of the month classes, 5 extra lvls per expansion and the same boss fights just with different looks and HP.
  15. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Yeah Vanilla was best. :)
  16. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

Don't tempt me :(
  17. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

This!!!
    The reason I quit was not that it was suddenly a bad game, but because it was the same game.
    It's the reason I left rift, the reason I troll TOR and the reason I'm so excited about Gw2
    Finally some moving forward of the genre.

GW2 is the only next gen mmo on the horizon.

Vanilla I never played but I know it will still be the same mmo formulae we've seen in every mmo since I started wow in TBC.

WoW is a great game, like mario kart 64, but you won't see me getting an N64 in a hurry

Time to move forward and remember the great games instead of stagnating
  18. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Nah, vanilla WoW is awesome just like you sometimes feel like playing some NES (8bit+???) every now and then. Anyone that would want to play vanilla WoW would be for reliving the memories and doing it again without being such a nup.

Don't do it if you don't really feel like it Allstar. No worries, I'll be posting screenshots of MC raiding and PVP at its best soon enough. :>
  19. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

Oh I definitely feel like it, I'm just not allowed :p
  20. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Leg-iron?