Dilemma/problem solving techies required

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Astarael, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

I've been having this issue for a while, and I just can't narrow down the problem.

Basically, my computer occasionally blue screens when under load (usually when in a full screen game, doesn't seem to matter how resource intensive the game is, happens on LoL occasionally, and recently often in skyrim). If it doesn't bluescreen, it just reboots without the blue screen. There's no useful error message in the blue screen. it only flashes up for a split second before rebooting. This leads me to believe there's always a bluescreen, but sometimes it flashes off too fast for me to see it.

Now originally I was confident it was the memory. Although it passed memtest and most other tests, sometimes it crashed during memtest. After a long period of removing one of my 6 sticks of ram, and using the computer for a week to see if the issue reoccurs, I *think* I narrowed it down to the second of the 6 sticks. After removing it and continuing with 5 sticks, no issues for a few weeks. so I filed with corsair, got the 4 replacement sticks yesterday, switched them out so the machine has all 6 again, and as soon as I booted a game, bluescreened/rebooted after 2mins in skyrim and about 4 times in an hour in LoL.

After I removed the second stick again, no issues for another hour.

So now I think the slot on the motherboard has the issues.

If these problems ring a bell in someones head as to what it could be, feel free to pitch in.

sidenote: I also get another issue where randomly I'll get kicked out of any graphics card utilising issue (media player, game, whatever), with the standard "graphics card drive has encountered an issue and restarted" message. This isn't a drive issue, as it's been happening for a while now through several driver versions. So maybe an issue with my GPU too.

So, here's my question:

My PC has the following spec (3 years old now):
    Intel I7 2.6ghz
    24gb 1600mhz memory
    Asus Deluxe V2 motherboard
    Nvidia GTX295
    non-modular power unit. probably something like 800w.
    SSD hard drive.

It can run most things at full spec, so it's not out of date. But, I was always of the opinion replacing the motherboard is a major hassle, as I'd have to buy an old one to be compatible with my parts, and I begrudge spending money on something that isn't current generation.

Should I be attempting to repair, or after 3 years should I be considering a whole new build? (only part I would keep is the SSD).
  2. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

i thought the same about replacing a motherboard until i bought a new motherboard cpu ram and fan but it was really a walk in the park so if i can do it u can!

only thing about changing motherboartd or/and cpu is u gotta format your harddrive or u can get alot of trouble.

only times i really had a problem with bluescreen was when i used a useless program called EPU power saving solution its known to blue screen you to death,

that was my ramble ill leave it to the computer geeks now!
  3. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

I has exactly the oaser you are describing astarael all the same errors and it was my ram. Either it's your ram or the slots imo

Faulty drivers maybe?

Edit: god.. I see I got iPhone autocorrected " had the same problem"
  4. Offline

well having used new RAM, it must be the slots, meaning the motherboard. not so good.
  5. Offline

Fokkie Veteran BOON

This is a known issue with some gfx cards. I'm also having the same issue when playing GW2 on my gtx470. Some things you can try is to up your power settings in your gpu software, increase GPU processing time by adjusting Timeout detection and recovery registry values.
    ( regedit -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\GraphicsDrivers -> Edit -> New and select DWORD for 32bit and QWORD for 64bit then doubleclick TdrDelay and try with 8 in Value data)

Could also try to Adjust visual effects to Adjust for best performance in Performance Information and Tools

The crashes happened less frequently for me after doing this but its still not completely gone.
  6. Offline

Warprophet Community Member

lol, wasnt really going to enter into the convo, as do get the problem every now and again but haven't tried trouble shooting it yet, cept for the fact that i also run a GTX470 OC (gigabyte), its a great card but need to set the computer so that it doesn t automaticall reboot when the blue screen occurs so i can get the exact fault code....

cheers for the info Fokkie
  7. Offline

Relinquished Veteran BOON

not an expert by any means but my two cents.

Firmware update on the mobo? 24gb of ram sounds a lot for a 3 year old machine.
  8. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

thats what happens when u nubs buy Nvidia
  9. Offline

RaK Veteran BOON

Try to run bluescreenview or any other similar program and check your dumpfiles with it.

Random crashes can be a lot of things. Usualy programs like bluescreenview not only identify the error but also give some advice in how to fix it.

I had a similar problem with my last pc, it just randomly froze and crashed with a half second blue screen. It was some graphic driver problem that got fixed by just removing the graphic card from the pci slot and putting it back on.
  10. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Almost all bsods are due to memory, rarely the mobo itself but rather the sticks. Since you had them replaced though I can't see how it can be. It'd be great if you'd run Prime95s memory test during a night with the new memory etc though, because that will generally root out any issues.
  11. Offline

Tent Community Member

First off, you can prevent the pc from rebooting to see the bluescreen (and make sure the logging is on).
    Computer -> properties -> System protection -> Advanced -> Startup & Recovery -> Settings -> Automatically restart

Now do the bluescreens always happen with the 2nd slot loaded, or only when using 6 sticks total.
    Do those sticks require extra voltage? most 1600 mhz ones in those days did.

What do the eventlogs/dumps say (bluescreenview)?

Oh and why not keep going with 4 or 5 sticks if that is running stable, you can't tell me 16-20 Gb of ram isn't enough for you?
    I'd pick that option above buying a new mobo/pc.
  12. Offline

Xtranerf Veteran BOON

I'd say run without the 6th memory if the computer is stable and wait for Haswell to be released in Q2 2013, it's a new architecture which means it should be a lot faster than Sandy/Ivy Bridge.
  13. Offline

that's my plan at the moment, I'd rather continue with the 5 if I have to.

so far the issue only occurs when the 2nd of 6 slots had a stick of ram in it. if it has 5/6 population with another slot empty, issue still occurs.

I'll have a look at bluescreenview when I get home, and I'll try that memtest tonight to see what results it gives.
  14. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

hows the temperature on your ram? isnt it on occasions the cooling thingys on the ram malfunction and it overheats
  15. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Epic.... Fozia giving tech advice <3
  16. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

did u even know ram had cooling fizzee?
  17. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Ofc, I also know its called a heat spreader or heat sink (depending on the design) rather than "thingy"
  18. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Back on topic, is your gfx card stock overclocked? My cards are but the volts are locked so my cards sometimes don't cope and start flickering and very rarely my PC locks up.

I have 5870x2 for reference.
  19. Offline

Balmung Veteran BOON

Only just saw this now. As already adviced, you should run a memory test and see if you can narrow it down to a certain stick or a certain slot.
    Just something I wanna clear first...you have 6 sticks of ram, yes? All 6 are the same brand, same clocking, all same CL trcd trp tras (timing values), yes?

As you run 6 sticks, your board supports triple channel, yes? Which mainboard do you have? Asus runs many deluxe versions :p is it a P6T V2? most likely since ur running an i7. Be cool if you checked all that to make sure there's no oversight on something that could be a trivial issue.

cheers

edit: missed the display driver stopped responding and has recovered thing. honestly sounds like an overheating issue to me. I have encountered those before on older systems of mine, always came down to being a heat issue
  20. Offline

the memory issue was definitly the motherboard slot. I'm continuing on 5/6 sticks in use, as like Yuni said, 20gb is basically no different to 24gb.

The graphics card issue is so infrequent I don't really care about it, I just tagged it on incase something sprang to mind.

Going to continue with this PC at least another year if it can hold out.