Diablo III - some press event.

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Specter, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

The press event is pretty good, with great info, but THIS was what really caught my eye:

Check out the rest at:
    http://www.diablofans.com/topic/26249-diablo-3-press-event-visit/
  2. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

So something people hated and that used to be illegal, now becomes a player's wish and legal? Nice way to twist it around.. If some people use it to gain an advantage over someone else and they use RL money for it, it doesn't mean people that play the game fair actually want it.

How can people ever learn to play fair when you cater to people who suck and just throw their money around to compensate, what is the point of even trying to balance anything? Also with money more involved actively in games, people become more serious, games feel like work and when will people start robbing and even murdering people over games? I thought EVE was already damn close to that, but a game that will be played by the masses like Diablo III will be much closer to that scenario.
  3. Offline

Angelo Community Member

Completely agree with this part;
    But like Aliasy said, not everyone wants to use it and only those with money to spend to get an advantage are the ones that do it.
  4. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

Well, thing is, this may not be such a bad move as long as it manages to put all those VR items sites and RMT's out of commission... Face it guys, in diablo 2 a LOT of people did that kind of crap, they have never been out of the loop and this may actually be a way to control the problem...

This kind of reminds me of the legalize drugs issue...
  5. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

"RMT is bad and evil... unless we get a cut of it."
    So now to get the best gear i have to use real money, and they now incentive the awful almost no wage farming jobs in countries like China. I still remember that news about prisoner guards forcing a woman to farm on WoW and selling the stuff via RMT, really sad stories.
    For the people actually happy for this, they should reconsider why do they play games in the first place and maybe try remember the joy of earning something really thought of without easy ways.
  6. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Well, if any MMO I was super hyped about announced that you could buy game affecting items with real money, I wouldn't buy the game. Not because I can't afford it, but because it's not right.

I don't mind paying 5 or 10 euros now and then to buy a silly hat or a fancy costume for a character, but simply being able to dump say 100 euros onto a character and have it kitted out in high tier armor/weapons (items which affect my characters performance, not its looks), that's just not right. From a business point of view, its fantastic, they will make a fuckload out of this as whingy old bastards who use the "work" excuse can now buy their way to the top, and spoiled little brats with rich parents can do the same.

I just think that performance enhancing or game affecting items should not be purchasable using real money in any game. Vanity items sure, GW1 and Perfect World have proven that people will spend a ridiculous amount on vanity items. That's one of the reasons I actually like NCSoft. They have shops for their games offering items for real money, but its only vanity items like skins and dyes, or utility items like extra bank space or character slots. Sure GW1 you could buy PvP skills rather than do it via the campaign, but then again, a lot of people bought that game for the PvP only. This topic just fucks me off so much as I just hate how greedy some of these big companies like Blizzard Activision are getting.

The RMT issue is not really an issue here. If you believe for one minute that stopping RMT was the reason they have done this, then your terribly naive. This has been done as it is a massive money maker as it rewards lazyness with quick fixes. Sure, RMT is a bad thing, but using it as a smokescreen to hide the fact you are dumbing your game down to make a quick buck off the lazy masses is not right.
  7. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Just because "the best loot can be bought" in theory, doesn't mean you have to do it, and even then people have been buying gear in D2 since the dawn of that game anyway, rage more. I'm not sure this is a 100% bad thing, need to look more into it and not be so rash tbh.
  8. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

yeh RMT will continue as long as there are jobless, lower waged or enslaved people :p This is just a company's greed
  9. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Don't know how good the game'll be but if I was payed to kill asmos (here we go again with the RP), why would I turn that down, when "I already have all the AP I ever need". Point being, if I'm gonna play the game, it could be nice to get cash while selling stuff useless to me?
  10. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I know, and I personally wouldn't do it, despite being in a position where I could.

The fact is, every kid who is playing games off their mum and dads credit card will buy all their gear, every casual player will buy gear, basically, everyone in the game apart from the players who work their balls off to get the gear, will buy the gear.

So basically, those people who put time and effort into the game to play all the content and explore the world that has been created, those people who actually play the game the way it should be played, those are the people who will be behind in a system like this, as every other lazy fuck will have bought their gear before you have cleared the content to get it.
  11. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

You shouldn't need to get rewarded with real money to play the game. Playing the game should be enough right ? I mean isn't playing the game with friends and having fun the whole reason people play games ?
  12. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

What if you see all those pesky asmo's running around with all your hard-earned gear without them running 300 fort instances? :) Gear progression is one of the primary goals in Aion and Blizzard's games.

If you take it away, what are you left with? In a game like Diablo there's is limited to no customization, RP, goals etc. It's all about gear or items, when that's pointless to get when some random dude just buys everything with his RL money, why even bother?
  13. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Yes you're right, but I didn't say "pay me to play your game" I was saying "hey, if you wanna pay me with irl cash while I play your game with friends that I enjoy, why should I turn that down or think its bad?"

About the hardcore gamer being left out and undergeared: who you think'll be the ones putting the leet stuff on the AH? It'll be the hardcore peeps that already have everything they want, and then start the trading, they sell their super mage thingy to get their monk things, using e-balance currency and stuff. Also, you say the people playing the game without buying stuff will be "behind" - what do you mean? There isn't any fat endgame boss that is hard to beat in games like these. My biggest concern from a personal point of view is the so-called PvP they planned in D3.

Yeah, I can buy your way of reasoning Alaisy. But then again, people are already buying the gear you're talking about, and the same people will go on buying it in D3, safely and approved.
  14. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Doesn't bother me, wont use it. Never played a game for gear/farming, only fun and challenges.
    If I could I'd murder the shit out of bobby k, still :p
  15. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

True, but I always remember that colossal douche Paul Barnet at GDC 2007 representing EA saying that in the future they want to see microtransactions that could see people buy anything they want from an official store. So technically you could just buy any gear you want from a shop without people having to list the items. Ever since then every new game seems to be edging more and more towards it.

His reasoning was so that the casual could keep up with the hardcore gamer. What he meant to say was its because EA is a money printing factory that couldn't care less about the games.

Yea, different company, but I think ever since Blizzard bought Activision, they have been making some rather douchey decisions themselves.
  16. Offline

RaK Veteran BOON

Well i dont really enjoy anything related to buying items with real money because of all the reasons alaisy and aspira already pointed out. But lets be serious... There is already a secondary market for those transactions and its really hard to take down or control ( d2jsp was one of them ). The main difference is that, lets say, in diablo 2 they would make you believe that using those ways of real money trading was ilegal but in all honesty, nothing was actually done against them from blizzard, resulting in a scenario where players would pay to get great gear and lvled up characters and 3rd party groups like d2jsp would get all the profit since the ones who would get paid would be them.

The idea of having a real money trading in game based only in player interactions is kind of way better than the previous scenario. Even though its still wrong, at least no 3rd party group benefits from it. Players sell, players buy, the money is traded in between players. At least whoever farms and spends time gets to be rewarded and not some 3rd party groups.

I know several groups of players who rmt on a daily basis in games like world of warcraft or "insert random rpg name" and only a small % ever gets caught. its sad, but the idea of getting your stuff fair and square is not really what's been happening the last few years... Even in lineage 2 tons of players ebay top geared and lvled characters and most never get caught :/
  17. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

*giggle* You say "EVEN IN LINEAGE 2", that game was all about buying in-game gold for irl cash-moneyz, or you had no chance of competing, which, just like I said earlier about D3, is totally fucked up when it comes to PvP (which L2 had lots of).
  18. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

True RaK, but I would rather developers would spend THEIR money and time on developing better ways of catching players who use RMT companies, rather than just taking the lazy option of taking yet more of MY money.
  19. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

This is the key word here.
    You go from a system where most people don't RMT and earn their stuff to a system where everyone will do it.

Once this is in place, and embeded into peoples psyche that it's acceptable to pay extra cash to keep up, they will start to up the ante, they could make items which can ONLY be bought with cash.
    Once people start accepting that they can make MOST items only available with cash.
    Eventually you end up with a system where guilds will require people to spend xyz cash to get ingame bonuses.

RMT for accounts and items which affect performace is a terrible thing for gaming, it takes away the pleasure from earning things to replace it with spend all your cash to be able to compete.

It's a very slippery slope, and are you going to go along with it or take a stand before it's too late?
    Me? I'm avoiding any game which has this like the plague.
  20. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

It's time developers started rewarding people with something less physical than ''gear''. Dynamic events deepened out by random effects, Puzzles, Dialogue and storylines, logged events that you participate in that develop character history for examples of rewarding RP elements that are not as sell-able.

Free Authenticators + the aion like login mouse click thing and you get rid of most account thefts.

Service, gaming companies still need to actually manually moderate their servers better. If you are no longer in contact with your own game you run as a company and '' let it all happen '' then you are obviously dropping the ball.

I'm fine with Micro-transactions for any vanity items or skins w/e.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.