CPU issue

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Sui, May 29, 2013.

1. Offline

Sui Veteran BOON

hey guys

i was wondering if some of you would be able to tell me why my specific cpu scores an average of 11% lower on any cpu performance test compared to the same cpu. and on graphics mine scores (amd hd7970) averages at 69 and geforce 680 at 115. is it software related?

thanks for any help you can give me.

*dont tell me buy new pc, (Tvar Kephir or Doodle)
  2. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

geif more info.
    What CPU, What core speeds, what benchmark software, and where did you produce those apparently arbitrary numbers?
  3. Offline

Sui Veteran BOON

4. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

In terms of the lower score on CPU, make sure you are only looking and CPUs which are at the same clock speed.
    Also, Passmark does take into account Hyper threading, so if you've disabled it for gaming (worth doing usually) then you will get a lower score than others, but not a lower performance in games. Also check you've not disabled speed boost on your chip as that will increase your clock speed to 3.9GHz I believe

The GPU "score", I asssume is FPS in that particular benchmark, which is unreliable anyway, but the 680 is a "better" GPU than the 7970 standard edition in most games, and the GHz edition in some games due to drivers etc. Also some benchmark software for GPUs utilise either CUDA cores or Stream processors better than the other which gives a bad comparison.

Also not all chips are created equal. You may have a dog of a chip which struggles to get good speeds when turbo.

So TBH it could be a number of things, but I would definately take a gander in the BIOS to make sure you've not disabled something useful.

also if it's a new system... take it back wait til next week and buy the new Haswell i7 as it's a die shrink so should overclock very well.
  5. Offline

Koja Veteran BOON