consoles?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by adagio, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Offline

adagio Moderator

With rumours the new xbox will given a debut soon. I was thinking why doesn't NVIDIA or especially amd make theyre own pc console?

They could both easily make monster mini pcs running on Linux for around 350 pounds. This would storm the pc market, make pc gaming accessible to all. Could act as internet, video player and word etc.

Just thinking.
  2. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

AMD wont be interested in that, i believe she already has the most share in the next gen consoles.
    So its only up to nvidia, but like many have said software>>>hardware, a console's success is bound to its contracts with software houses.
  3. Offline

adagio Moderator

Well if Windows 8 gets put on the new xbox as rumoured. Pc gaming is surely going to take a back seat again. This must hurt NVIDIA sales wise.
  4. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

Consoles are for kids gtfo with that stuff and leave us PC users alone! /RANT
  5. Offline

Tal The Architect

To be honest, if I get to use a keyboard and mouse properly with the ability to set up keybinds and a VoIP that works... I don't care if it's classed as a console, especially if it's cheap and runs any game of the generation.
  6. Offline

adagio Moderator

Whether we like it or not consoles will be going deep into pc territory in the next generation.

Can you imagine the looks on blizzards faces when you tell them a console is now powerful enough to play wow. There wouldn't be enough bean counters at blizzard hq.
  7. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

It will be cheap and the games of the generation will be limited by that cheap hardware because it has to work on bloah blah console for maximum sales
  8. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

Consoles generations are the reason pc technology advancement is slower than ever. I can easily tell apart a game from 1995, 2000 and 2005, and then that's it. im playing the witcher 1 atm which is something like 5 years old with the neverwinter nights engine, and it looks better than most console games coming out this year.
    Or Crysis 1, still better than most console "HD" crap.

Thankfully some devs understand PCs are superior and they are starting to push bounderies (BF3), but they are still bound to antiquate hardware on consoles for marketing purposes.

And by technology i dont mean just graphics, halflife 2 and fear 1 had the best IA in an fps back then, and i see no improvement since those games in all these years. Only scripted crap CoD style.
    Or even physics, i believe havoc is still used here and there and it basically does the things that it did a decade ago.

Sorry for the rant.
  9. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Yea I hate console gaming. One of the main reasons I play my games on PC is because it lets you avoid a massive percentage of the kids that play games these days.
    Yea this is pretty tragic tbh. I was playing MW3 on my brothers xbox360 yesterday as I was curious as to how it played and it looked horrible. Him and his friends were talking about how it looked amazing compared to MW2 and to be quite honest it looked terrible .Easily a million times worse than if you turn your settings to minimum on BF3 on the PC. One of his mates had BF3 on xbox360 and I loaded that up and tbh, if I didn't know it was BF3 beforehand, I wouldn't have been able to tell you what it was. The graphical difference between the Pc and xbox360 version is massive.

It's good companies like DICE are pushing the boundaries of the PC's capabilities, but think how much effort it must take to then nerf the game down to a version that will run on a console.
  10. Offline

adagio Moderator

Say ms push the boat out on the xbox and go quad 4ghz with 4gbs memory and equivalent gpu to a 460gtx.

Games companies would love it. No spending money on making a game work with the thousands of possible pc configurations. No dealing with 3rd party drivers. Easy money.
  11. Offline

Talisker Veteran BOON

12. Offline

Agga Community Member

just got done playing MW3 and after player the single player BF3 I thought I had it on wrong resolution or something even with everything maxed it looked pretty dismal in comparison seems every PC release is a console port now,I just hope they leave the MMo's alone and dont try to release them to run on console and PC at the same time same servers etc that would be tragic. Consoles are ok for your kids to F about with thats about it for me
  13. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Seems @Agga is still alive. Just dropping in to do your monthly post ? :p
  14. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Nvidia's busy with their Tegra 3 and it's optimizations, much more money in it for them there.