Clearing up Misconceptions on Open World PvP

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Merketh, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Offline

Merketh The MerkBot

Hey everyone! One of our awesome devs noticed a bit of confusion about how we plan on implementing open world PvP in WildStar and brought it to our (our = your WildStar community team and the PvP dev team) attention this morning. Since we want to clear up any misconceptions quickly, Aether thought it would be best if I got my WildStar Central forum name registered so I can give you all some info today.

Rulesets
    We intend to have two rulesets at WildStar’s launch, a PvE and PvP ruleset.

World PvP Opportunities on PvE Ruleset
    On a PvE Ruleset server, you may voluntarily flag yourself for PvP. In WildStar, there are some zones which are shared by both factions, in terms of PvE content. If you’re flagged, you may run into opposing faction individuals who have also voluntarily flagged themselves for PvP. If you do, I hope you both have some fun If you try to go into an opposing faction’s city, you will be automatically flagged for PvP.

World PvP Opportunities on PvP Ruleset
    On a PvP Ruleset server, PvP flagging is determined based on the zone your character is in. If you are in a zone that is affiliated with your faction, you’re not flagged…but you may voluntarily flag yourself. If you are in a zone that is affiliated with the opposing faction, you are flagged for PvP.
    If you’re in a zone that is shared by both factions, you will be flagged for PvP. You’ll have plenty of opportunity to run into your enemy in a shared zone and slay the day away If you try to go into an opposing faction’s city, you are flagged for PvP (though, this is redundant on a PvP server, because you’re likely in that faction’s zone anyway).

Sanctuaries
    We will have areas within zones or entire zones where PvP is forbidden. These areas, called Sanctuaries, will be present on both PvE and PvP rulesets.

Objective-Based Open World PvP
    We understand the strong desire for this type of open world PvP and many of us here at Carbine enjoy it. That said, objective-based open world PvP is not currently a focus for WildStar’s launch. Our intent, as I’ve stated in our Reddit AMAA, is to see how our PvP players interact with the world of Nexus so we can focus on areas which may appeal to a Wildstar PvP player for objective play before we make a deeper investment on open world PvP.

Experience
    (Also from the Reddit AMAA, but I will also restate it again)
    You will be able to level via PvP. You can earn experience off of player kills in the Battlegrounds and through player kills in world PvP. So, there is a little bit of incentive to kill your enemy, outside of the enemy just being an opposing faction player, on either Ruleset, because he’s probably worth some XP.

We'll be monitoring this thread to respond to your feedback, which we welcome with open arms! Thanks for listening, everyone!

http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/clearing-up-misconceptions-on-open-world-pvp.2072/
  2. Offline

Kharjas Community Member

Sounds like Rift and the open world pvp there was a fiasco.
  3. Offline

Merketh The MerkBot

well it's clearly not a focus, its not like they are trying to sugar coat it as something it's not. their vision is for people to spend their PvP time doing Arena/bg's and Warplots with the odd encounters in contested zones.
  4. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Tbh, I am really looking forward to Wildstar, but I am looking forward to it for the PvE.

I love BG's too, but the PvE in this has potential given the past work of the devs.
  5. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

If the world pvp is anything like the first leveling phase of vanilla WoW im happy.
  6. Offline

Blackspear "The Random"

Just give me MMO that is good. Just good, I don't care if it's PvP or PvE. Since Aion I barely had fun playing MMO's ;/
  7. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Well, Aion was pretty special.
  8. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

i belive aion brought us such people as Aspira and Doodle cant say if its a good or a bad thing tho!
  9. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

I just want the little campsite in STV and I am happy!
  10. Offline

Firoz Veteran BOON

I think we all miss Aion. :(
  11. Offline

Littletoe Veteran BOON

I think Darkfall fucked me over when it comes to PVP, i don't really find just killing ppl that much fun anymore in MMO's. I need to be able to take their shit and know that they are probably fucking furious if they lost anything good.
    But im hoping the PVE is good! I actually enjoyed WAR PVE more than the PVP before i quit
  12. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

what made warhammer online good was the greenskins!
  13. Offline

Drexciyian Veteran BOON

Best thing about EvE you knew how how much they lost, best loot i got was a Tech 2 Blueprint which is worth billions of isk :D Biggest ransom i took was 800mil :cool:
  14. Offline

Screenager Community Member

Like i said on the central forums im fine with owpvp that is me and some mates running around greifing enemy players harassing towns ala aions rifts just as long as it still allows progression rewards for kills then im good withat. That and reasonable currency crossover between the different pvp types
  15. Offline

Hsulf Veteran BOON

You all just miss chasing me around The Eye don't you ;P
  16. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

I really do, but now I look forward chasing other ppl around "the eye" in Wildstar with you :D
  17. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Aww. Look at how enemies are now friends.

I still think Telemachus (pre-transfers) had the best PvP (small and large scale) I have ever seen in an MMO.
  18. Offline

Killa Veteran BOON

Is it really only me that arent pumped up about this game? Nothing makes me go "FUCK YEAH." :(
  19. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

It'll come to you soon enough. Or it won't. I see the possibility of a new well polished WoW vanilla, that's what's doing it for me atm.
  20. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

Open world pvp to kill some pve dude on low hp with no cd ? CHECK
    Arena pvp for everyone's e-peen ? CHECK
    Guild vs Guild on flying fortress of doom so the guild can carry my low ass skillz ? CHECK