Civilisation V Brave new world MUST READ IF NEW

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Doodle, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

Hello guzy

For the people that are playing civ 5. It's good to know that there is so much more to the game then I suspect most of us know. I spent a couple of hours today reading up and theory-crafting a bit. I found some VERY important information I feel like you really need to read to basically know wtf you are doing!

This opened my eyes and made me realize I knew 10% of the game. I had no idea about working tiles and that improving ALL tiles is a complete god damn waste. I had no idea how important citizens are and i had no idea about the ZOC
    read up and get educated bitches:
    http://gaming.stackexchange.com/que...ource-that-is-more-than-three-tiles-from-land

basically, you don't get resources unless they are worked by your citizens, ever. You can never work tiles further then 3 hexes away from your city. That means anything more then 3 hexes away from your city (hammers, gold, apples) will NEVER benefit your empire and will also never be workable. Another good question and answer about this below:
    http://gaming.stackexchange.com/que...to-work-a-resource-in-order-to-gain-access-to

Notice that this does not apply to luxury or strategic resources, these always give the benefit as long as they are within borders. But the tile bonus is, again, NEVER given unless worked and can never be worked if its further then 3 hexes away from your city.

This means improving Tile bonus with no strategic or luxury benefit further then 3 hexes from your town = complete waste of time and cost. Optimal expanding conditions is your capital in the middle surrounded by smaller city's 7 hexes away from your capital in either direction (north, west, south, east). This is of course not set in stone depending on the resources actually available in that specific area, but in a perfect world this is optimal.

ZONE OF MOTHERFUCKING CONTROL
    this brought war to a whole new lvl for me. Freaking pvp right here. Read the thread it is all explained better then i have the time to do it here:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=444783

Also read this basic guide, its short and very good:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=122860723#103365
  2. Offline

Drexciyian Veteran BOON

Coming back to Civ5 atm, hadn't played since like a month after release(multiplayer would crash back then)
  3. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Reading this, I realise how much has been changed.

I thought it was Civ 5 plus a couple of new factions, but like wtf they have changed a lot of base mechanics.
  4. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

If anyone stumbles upon more great info about the game (make sure it's up to date and still valid in brave new world) please make sure you link it here in this thread
  5. Offline

Killa Veteran BOON

im keeping the good stuff for myself.
  6. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

7. Offline

Xom Veteran BOON

Been playing civ5 for the last year or so. The latest expansion mainly changed the AI of opponents. Their strategy of preferred win is now very clear from the start. Damn you Sweden for diplomatic victory!
  8. Offline

Xom Veteran BOON

Also, the things Doodle mentioned are in civ5 the base game, not changes in BNW. In fact, AMA about civ5 considering I've got 400+ hours in by now.
  9. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

Those fuckers kept attacking me last night while i tested a cutural win, at 3am, I got pissed and did a preemtive nuclear strike onthier 3 cities, 2 to each pew pew, uploading fraps later for Doodle to enjoy :D

CULTURE THIS MOFOERS!
  10. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

KC with nukes.....

[IMG]
  11. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

Great thread - keep it up. Embarrassed to say I knew nothing about ZOC and the three tile rule. Will help a lot in future games!
  12. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

1. You learned "nukes"
    2. Purchase Nukes using Gold at every city
    3. Fire

job done, killed Swedens Apollo program in 1 round gg me.
  13. Offline

Xom Veteran BOON

And that, their gentlemen, is why there is no Scottish civilization in the game.
  14. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

Yeah cause it would be to OP, people wil be like 2000BC oh fuck I met the scottish /quit...
  15. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

The land, it glows in the dark...