Car People help!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fizzee, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Ok guys, looking for people who actually know their car stuff, not you wannabe "I watch top gear so I know my shit" people!

I need a car for work.

I need advice as to a nice cheap, fun and reliable car.
    It needs to be fuel efficient (so probably diesel) as I'll be relying on millage claiming to make me some extra cash (I reckon a 50mpg car would net me about £2.5-3k extra a year after tax).
    It needs to be cheap (I have about £5k for car, insurance and taxes)
    It needs to be fun. I don't want a shitty smart car, I would like to enjoy my car!

I have been looking at the Honda Civics but they tend to be a little pricey, but I know Honda is reliable whereas thinks like Pergeots and Renaults are cheaper but tend to get more issues.

SO yeah, advice is very welcome as I've never been a car person and this would be my first motor.
  2. Offline

Angelo Community Member

Anything Volkswagen.
  3. Offline

Law Community Member

Well I used to drive a Subaru Imprezza Turbo then moved into a L200-Warrior for moving outside of town. I have driven/testrun a huge amount of Cars in my lifetime so far. I learned to drive at 8years old and rate myself with decent knowledge of most today Cars.

Are you looking for something in the following?.....
    Work Related. E.G. Nice looking good for towning/mileage and can hold 4 people with ease?
    Sport Related. E.G. Fast, shit for mileage and some people will think is it because you have a small penis?
    Family Related. E.G. Looks shit, holds a bed and more. Can get the wife+kids A-B and never needs fuel cause it runs on Air?

Before you say I did read "Work Car" but its about you not your work :D

5k for a Car is a lot of money if you know the Frank Butchers of this Area and you can pick up really nice deals from Private Sellers (Auto Trader).
    Fuel Efficient well that depends on what you are looking for in my 3 above.
    Smart Cars are great fun imo as you can ninja really good parking spaces and there is shit all people can do about it!

I would also only recommend a Japanese Car/Van/Pickup as the line has a huge record of having long lasting vehicles. E.G. Engines that can go past 150k and never need fixing! More expensive parts but it ways up with the length of time before needing a Fix.

I would also recommend having your new purchase looked over by the A.A. Normally costs under 100quid but they will tell you if the car is scrap!
  4. Offline

Law Community Member

[IMG]
  5. Offline

Angelo Community Member

Pretty sure that's not a facepalm but windshieldbonnet.
  6. Offline

Littletoe Veteran BOON

Lada samara, GO GO GO!
  7. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

Volkswagen

Owned 2 in my life, loved em both. Had this amazing golf as my first car, so reliable!
  8. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

get a Volvo.... there sorted
  9. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

So essentially I'll be needing the car for work (getting to and from, but also for doing home visits) and would expect around 30-50 miles a day average. The mpg is very important for this reason as the cheaper it is to run in fuel, the more money I get out of the standard 45p per mile claimage I can make.

However, when I say fun too... I don't want a car which looks like shite and takes 6 hours to hit 60. I want to be able to accelerate and brake a little too hard at times ;)
    I obviously don't need a supercar, but I want to enjoy driving.
  10. Offline

Astarael Vertically Challenged

anyone who said anything that isn't a Volkswagon polo diesel is wrong. fun car, reliable, will get you into work. amazing fuel consumption. will do 150k miles without faulting in all likelihood.
  11. Offline

you could maybe get a VW golf if you wanted to fun it up a little, but you'll have to look at an older model to get it for the money you want to spend.
  12. Offline

Ywvi Community Member

If you take a look at the VW forums under "problems" you will laugh with joy that you didnt buy a VW grp car(hopefully). My wife has a 2003 model Golf and ffs ffs ffs ffs ffs ffs. Telling people to buy a VW is like advising a potential investor to invest in the failing greek economy. It is criminal to say the least. Save yourself some unwanted hassle and get a Toyota Yaris or a Suzuki Swift.
  13. Offline

Law Community Member

Couldn't have said it better!

For what you are looking for Fizz, I would recommend something from Skoda - Octavia my brother bought one 2nd hand as he said was amazing to drive too and from work. He lives in Peterhead and drives to and from Abeerdeen every day. He said it saved a lot on fuel bills.
    Now this is one I would recommend as it does look good and Skoda are in :) they are really pushing out decent Cars for what you are looking for.

Like Ywvi said Toyota can give you a huge range of Cars that would suit your needs. You don't like Smart Cars but the Yaris model line does have some decent versions that do look really nice.

But don't listen to anyone who says a VW is the way forward cause they are the shit of the shit and I bet they know shit all about Cars ;)

Here is my list for ya....

Skoda - Octavia
    Ford - Focus Estate
    Toyota - Yaris
    Toyota - Rav4
    Honda - Accord

All these above you can find cheap models on Autotrader under 5k with decent specs. Watch the Mileage try to keep under 100k for a 5k or under Car. Also the more photo's people put the better. Also don't be scared to Haggle! If people are desperate for a quick sale they may knock off 500quid just to shift it!

Also Id highly recommend this.....
    [IMG]
    This has shit mileage but you never need to worry about a traffic jam as you can just crush everyone in front.

Hope this helps.
  14. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

did you really just recommend a skoda and a ford as your two top picks?
  15. Offline

Law Community Member

Yup, Skoda the past few years have been making really good Cars, so for 5k he should be able to find a decent one now. Ford has been a huge contender in Car building for years and the Focus is a good runner.

Id love to hear why you question it. :D
  16. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

I heard ford, specially the focus, is horrible! They last like 5 years before rbeaking down. Dont know much about skoda but it used to be trash might be good now.

Imo...german cars > all

Volvo might be a good pick as well but i dunno
  17. Offline

seeing as skoda are all made by VW, and have exactly the same engines and interiors as their VW counterparts, you've just proven your previous point about VW totally wrong.

forums are for people to go and complain on. that's 95% of the population of any consumer forum. the only reason people go to forums is to complain. check any forums for any car manufacturer, they're all full of complaints, that's a retarded argument. your wife has had one bad experience and you check a forum and decide all VW's are bad?

I run a fleet of vehicles, I have close links with every major dealer in the northwest, every one of them has good things to say about VW and skoda (which is VW).

You should ignore anyone who doesn't even know which companies own each other and share factories because they clearly don't know what they're talking about.
  18. Offline

but hey, if you want to listen to one guys brother or another guys wife as the defining knowledge in cars, who am I to argue.
  19. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

I love lamp. I love car. I love thread.
  20. Offline

Ywvi Community Member

Initially I didnt want to sound bitter towards the VW fanboys and thats why I only stated my own exp.Here it goes.Sadly it is only me who has had a bad exp with the VW grp .My best friend got the 2nd TSI generation a few years back and the turbo broke on the first 500 km.After 2 years he changed the whole engine 5k worth ,ofc the guarantee had just expired. Another friend of mine has been working in VW dealerships for the past 10 years as a mechanic and you know what he says: Stay the fack away from the very same brand that has been feeding him and his family .Bullshititng the potential customers about the reliability of the brand and making the unlucky owners already, feel proud of a piece of shit for a car! Thats how he describes his day to day encounters with the customers. If you have basic knowledge of mechanical problems then the forums can prove to be rather enlightining so dont be naive as to think that I cant form an objective opinion .As to why the fact that you talk to some people about whether they are happy with a product that they obviously want to "protect" is an unbiased opinion I dont know .I give you facts not sentimental approach .

Its typical sadly of people who have made the mistake in trusting the VW grp with their money to want to redeem their ego through supporting the very same product that has screwed them over and over and thats OK but please dont make it public.

I am aware that Scoda belongs to the VW grp in addition to other unfortunate brands that were taken under its umbrella , so you are refering to someone else. Ofc he's going to listen to our experiences, this is the reason he's posting . Finally why dont you visit the Toyota forums just to compare the problems that their cars come about . If you have any clue about cars then you will know.

Long live the TSI's.....:censored: