Can anyone see any problems with this?

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Jon Paul, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Offline

Jon Paul Community Member

2. Offline

Tal The Architect

You get what you pay for. The HD 5450 will be awful.
  3. Offline

Tent Community Member

5450 is a 25-40 pound card.
    To run SWTOR and GW2 at high you probably need a card in the 150-250 pricerange.

As it is, that thing will likely not even run at 20 fps on low settings.
    Hell, intels built-in HD 4000 graphics beat that thing.

Best value pc is usually home built.
    Grab a nerd, give him a budget and make him configure something.
  4. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Yeah, as the others have said, that PC is shity.
    If you want a PC to run GW2 and SWTOR on High, expect to spend between £600-800+
    You can probably spend £400 or less if you build your own and reduce your expectations.

To give you some concept, Mines a i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz, 2x HD5870, 8GB Sniper 1333 RAM
    And it JUST ran SWTOR on High with decent FPS due to the MMO shitty optimisation you get from games trying to work on old machines. I'll let you know how it handles GW2, but depending on if it has crossfire support I expect it to work reasonably on highest settings with crossfire or medium without, but who knows until friday.
  5. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

If your buying a new machine, you really should buy a GFX card that was made within the last year or else you are seriously limiting the lifespan of your machine, and pretty much throwing money away.

I bought a HD 5850 when it was brand new. I then bought a second one 2 years later for next to nothing as it was an old card, however running them in crossfire can see me run pretty much all modern day titles on highest graphics settings.

I would suggest doing similar, but a decent card and get a long life out of your PC.
  6. Offline

Relinquished Veteran BOON

I am running SWTOR on a HD4870(512Mb). 50fps in warzones mind you, 1480x1whatever. High gfx except for shadows, which seam to be bugged.
    Ofc thats with an AMD FX-6100 and 8Gb DDR3-1600.

but yeah i agree with the "grab a geek" option as well. Do NOT be cheap on the gfx card. It can be the one thing you will regret in the future.
  7. Offline

adagio Moderator

It's better to tell us what you have. We can the say the best way to go. Fuller the details the better.
  8. Offline

I have a laptop at the moment, im looking to just buy a desktop :) that can easily run gw2 and swtor :)

I dont mind spending money like, I just need some guidance :D I've been on ebuyer overclockers dabs and all the website, so you suggest me building my own??

I used to be dead clued up on all this 7 years ago lmao then I went on the websites the other day and i just didnt have a clue :(

Thanks guys x
  9. Offline

adagio Moderator

It depends if you feel comfortable making your own pc? In the old days the price gap between a premade and homemade was large but has been driven down over the years. The only difference now is the warm fuzzy feeling you get when your homebuilt machine runs as solid as a rock any game you throw at it.

Im sure if you let us know price range and your preference for CPU maker and graphics card manufacturer. We could make you a very nice setup.
  10. Offline

probably something like fizzee's setup ..... core i5 and a nvidia gtx 560 or 590?
  11. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Get an i5 2500, an AMD 7850 or 7870, some 4-8 GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM (low profile), some motherboard that supports the socket, some 500-600W PSU from an A brand and a case.

This'll let you play anything smoothly unless you want to play at some dual/triple screen setup, and it's probably around 600 quid. If you want specifics you'll have to come up with a shop to buy it at because the motherboard and PSU brands vary a lot on availability.

If you cba building, get a shop to assemble it for you. They usually check the parts for faults as well as usually grant you some short warranty on top of the warranty for every loose part.

PS: why recommend him old unavailable cards like the Radeon 5xxx series, sure if you can get them second handed for a good price, but otherwise the newer series will be the way to go. Any end of life product doesn't get automatically lowered in price, they just get phased away. Also a card like the GTX 590 eats power and forces you to buy an expensive PSU, not to mention hurt electricity bills. The GTX 560ti is a nice priced mid range card though.
  12. Offline

adagio Moderator

Me and Fizzee virtually have the same setup and its an amazing piece of equipment. Get the i5 2500k as its unlocked and can easily be overclocked to 4.5ghz with air cooling. Not sure if the prices are still high due to demand. You may find the amd bulldozer is cheaper and nearly as good if just using as a games machine.

I went for a NVIDIA 560ti as I prefer NVIDIA to amd with a gigabyte mobo as the ratings for them these days are top notch. 8gbs of memory is probably a great idea as its still cheap.
  13. Offline

Tent Community Member

I'm running an i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz
    Also sporting a 560 Ti (HAWK edition) - (My preference goes to NVIDIA, AMD alternative at the time was 6950)
    It will run pretty much anything on max with AA on a full HD (1920x1080) monitor.

As for the CPU, it might be an idea to go for the i5 35xx series (3570).
    Both have pro's and cons, biggest pro for the 2500k is that it has proven itself to be awesome and reliable.

Currently, I would definitely go for an intel CPU. They are just better is most ways.
    Also, if you have plans for overclocking an i5, don't use the stock cooler.
  14. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

I'd stick to 2500k tbh, the price on the new ivy bridges will be HIGH as they only came out today, whereas the 2500k is only about £150 and performs brilliantly.

Also cooling, don't need to spend loads, mine is using an Arctic pro7 (I think that's what it's called) and was £22 and is very quiet and keeps the CPU very cold... It looks like shit though so don't use in a glass sided pc..
  15. Offline

Okay thanks guys could anyone link me to all the stuff seen as obviously you know a lot more than I do hahha
  16. Offline

adagio Moderator

Will try to later. You have any preference to which shop we shop we should use?
  17. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Also a price guide would help. Also do you need peripherals and if so do you have a preference as to size screen, number of screens, type of mouse (wireless/wired), Naga?, headsets/speakers?, any preference of ati vs nvidia. Air or water cooled, noise vs temps with coolers, HDD vs SSD, overclock potential or stock speeds.

The more info you give the better the suggestions will be.
  18. Offline

ebuyer, dabs, anywhere cheap or anything :)

leave the peripherals to me :) i have some siberia v2 headphones and a Microsoft Habu mouse, ive seen the keyboard i want sooooo im sorted with all that shit :D

I already have a screen, its nothing special, and i dont really know how to set 2 screens up so ill just stick to one screen, i know its the i5 2500.... but honestly i dont have a clue how to overclock it..... i dont want to fuck up your hard efforts of finding me all this :p someone will have to take me through a step by step guide of putting all this together :p hahaha also I was thinking the nvidia 560Ti

As for air or water cooled, it honestly depends how easy it is to set up, i just generally think which ever is easier to set up :p so im gunna guess air :p

And fizzie tbh, what eva you thinks best, that goes to all of you.... price isnt really an option, dont want to be spending over 800 but i dont want you to cut corners in working out the best price and settling with something shit tbh.... so yeah dont cut corners but obviously dont go for the most expensive

Im not made of money :D

Much love everyone
  19. Offline

Tal The Architect

How to set up 2 screens:

Plug in both screens.
    Turn on computer.
    (optional if incorrect: right click desktop, go to screen resolution and rearrange screens by dragging them with your mouse)
  20. Offline

Relinquished Veteran BOON

my friends seem to have a preference for intel and nvidia hardware.
    i would suggest also checking AMD and ATI.
    They usually come with cheaper motherboards and less power consumption.

And once more, dont get cheap on the gfx card.