Buy your hardware now, be ready!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Omnipresent, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Offline

Omnipresent Potato Farmer

2. Offline

3. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Singularity's sooner than Alpha Centauri or Galactic Civilizations. :p Adapt or become redundant. I've been subscribed to his newsletters for a while, it's quite interesting and sometimes it can be hard to keep up with the development.
  4. Offline

Angelo Community Member

Thanks for this, quite interesting.
  5. Offline

Yeah its a toss up between having my conscious mind placed in an immortal machine or the ability to extend our lives by hundreds of years, not sure which interests me most...
  6. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Yeah I'd like to fully understand how consciousness will actually work in a new ''machine'' hull for example. Would it be like going to sleep and wake up in something else? Probably. Once thoughts and memories can be digitalized and transplanted I assume it will be possible, but will consciousness work the same way?

(I guess some people would refer it to as ''your soul'' but that may derail your thoughts too much)

Or perhaps you will progressively put your conscious in a machine, like as if you were entering virtual reality (which still has to be invented too).
  7. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

If you didnt then you should check on Ghost in the Shell, both the movies as they touch these topics and the series to widen the settings.

Hopefully you'll find them interesting.
  8. Offline

Tendo Community Member

Very interesting and yet very disturbing, specially the part where he states
    The more vital question would be: Ray do you actually think it's healthy to take 150 pills a day? :>

His books are even more interesting if you love fiction :>
  9. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

This kind of stuff is what will kill us a human brain came up with the holocaust, genocide, survival of the fittest etc

Start making super powered human brains and we'll end up with nutters like this,,, I want to keep my love spuds tbh... meh go to 1m 47sec to 3 mins stupid forum!

10. Offline

Balmung Veteran BOON

Well, very interesting, tho I disagree with how he thinks the capacity of our computers will improve towards 2020 and beyond. Our processor technology is limited by simple physics. The power need grows exponential with a higher frequency. You can't go much higher than we do nowadays on a single unit as the power needed would simply overload the processor. So we designed Multicore technology. So far, so good. But relying on a threaded technology has its flaws as well. Besides that all our software has to be redesigned by scratch for a higher amount of threads, the gain you get from using Multi-threading is at some point outweighed by the resources needed to handle so many threads. So we designed cloud-engineering. Linking several computers together to reach a common goal. But there's still many problems with that. Those systems suffer from slow and faulty data exchange, flow management and syncronization flaws and many other things we might or might not have discovered yet, since cloud-engineering only started a few years back. Ofc we could have one giant computer which is basically many many small computers linked via a highspeed BUS to a powerful cloud. Problem with that is that you will spend much more time mainting it rather than utilizing its processing power.

Wall of text, YAY.

Call me crazy but I got my bets on 'our technologies will NOT be a million times more powerful within 20 years'.
    As an example from last weeks news, it took us almost a decade to get our smartphones from singlecore to dualcore technology :)

Cheers. The freak.
  11. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Think it'll depend more on the demand, I think to solve that problem.. We need to get rid of console games! :p
  12. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

Yeah I love stuff like this I don't see anything wrong with enhancing even humans with modifications like in deus ex. If I had the choice I would strip away as much as possible And replace it with awesome technology.

Then I would travel in to space and declare war on aliens