Blade & Soul Korean Closed Beta 1 - Videos

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Aspira, May 3, 2011.

1. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Picture1.png
    As some of you know, I have an account for the Korean closed betas of NCSoft's upcoming MMO Blade & Soul. There is no NDA for this game from what I have seen on the Korean site, so I have frapsed some low level gameplay of each of the playable characters. I will hopefully get some higher level play during the next betas if my account is still active as there is always a chance of being banned, but hey when you see the videos it was worth it, this game really is something special.

Videos are all have no audio overlay or any fancy editing so what you see and hear is the game in all its beauty.

Make sure to watch in HD fullscreen. The next betas videos will be uploaded in 1080p instead of the 720p format of these videos.
  2. Offline

gir Veteran BOON

hehe nice aspi, to me at first glance it looks allot like tera with new gui, how does it feel to play?
  3. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Well all of the classes are totally different. You don't get the feeling of playing the same game but as a different class, you get the feeling your playing a new game each time you play a new class because the combat mechanics for each class is so completely different. Alt-aholics will love this game, thats for sure.

Combat wise itself, it is very similar to TERA. The aiming I feel is slightly easier than TERA, however its still hard enough to ensure than skilled players will be better than unskilled players. There are also beat em up style block mechanics in the game so that you can effectively block incoming attacks and more importantly, counter incoming attacks. If your ping is good enough and your skilled enough, you can kills mobs in quick succession and take no damage at all if you block and counter everything. There is also an Aion/AoC style combo system for every class. There are tons of combos for each class, and each ability used in a certain situation can proc another ability so the combat is not a spam of the same rotation over and over, it actually is quite dynamic and gets more dynamic the more you level as more skills become available. Also the combat is very fluid and just feels good. Aion style spell animation GCD as well rather than the painfully slow 1.5~2sec GDC that western games are using, so the combat has a nice pace to it.

Graphically.... on a par with TERA. I think in fairness TERA is a little bit more pretty than Blade & Soul, but comparing these two games to see which is better looking is like comparing the members of Girls Day in a who is hotter contest..... you would do em all. Level of detail is quite insane, there is random objects in the world all over the place just to add detail for the sake of detail. They really have spent a lot of time on this. Animation too, quite possibly some of the best I have ever seen. Every skill seems to flow into the next no matter which order you use them. Whoever did the animation work for this game needs to get medals of awesomeness as it truly is an amazing piece of work. If you compare Blade and Soul's graphics and animations to other currently on the market games, like RIFT, Blade and Soul easily makes RIFT look 10+ years old. All Blade and Soul is doing is reinforcing the East > West argument when it comes to games development.

The races are quite cool too. All my videos are female chars, but even the male characters in this game are really cool. Usually in MMO's the male characters look quite tall and lanky with no muscle and basically all look like Brighton alcove dwellers. In Blade and Soul, the male characters are actually pretty beast. The Gon male is like buffed to the max. Like huge 9ft tall and almost the same width and is complete muscle. Male Gon Destroyer looks insane. Then theres the Jin race, the male characters from this look like they are styled on Japanese high school kids. They all look pretty cool with nice hairstyles. Kun do not have male characters as they are a Goddess race. The Lyn are kinda like the Elin from TERA, but they have male chars too. Both the male and female Lyn just look like 5year old boys/girls but with the rabbit ears and tails.... very cute race. Female chars can be seen in all my videos. Lots of leg on show for the female chars in this game.

So, comparing this to all the games I have played, released and unreleased, I have to say this plays the best out of all of them. This game will be huge.
  4. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

When can we actually play it?
  5. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Next CBT if you have a lot of cash burning a hole in your pocket.
  6. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Poor Doodle, the same question going over and over. First Tera, now this. :<
  7. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

i just want to play all these sexy games, damn aspira is just teasing us with all this korean stuff
  8. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Hehe. I aim to tease.
  9. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

I love the combat style, but it looks really slow compared to the gorgeous fluidity of movement.

I hope I'm wrong, because I've been following this for a while now

:(
  10. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

I believe half of the slow movement comes from the high latency, its quite sensitive to that. Same with TERA really, should go a ton faster but its Korea so..
  11. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

Yeah, from the combo mechanic I can imagine chaining skills together pretty well.

Also, this is a korean MMO so attack speed weapons are bound to be in there somewhere at endgame :p
  12. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

You said that from Tera the other day :eek: Guess you took a shit ! :p
  13. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Well its got animation skipping as opposed to animations placed as global cooldowns so I'm not sure how the speed will work.
  14. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Yea I am at the mercy of my ping in these videos.

The game is really quite latency dependent from what I saw and I was having a bad internet day at the time. The combat is really super fluid if your not lagging as later that day I played again with a more stable connection and it was really smooth.

What you need to remember is really HIGH DPS classes are going to attack slower than mid to low DPS classes. Destroying does insane damage, and as a result it is really slow in combat and is actually quite challenging to aim with if your a bit laggy. However.... as you increase in level and get more abilities, you get more proc abilities that make next spell faster etc. like in TERA.

Not sure about attack speed weaponry, so can't comment there.
  15. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Indeed I did. I have to say that of all the games I have played now, Blade & Soul is my #1 favourite with TERA in second place.

TERA has its flaws, but compared to western MMO offerings, its infinately better in all ways in my opinion. Blade & Soul is very much like TERA, but all of the little things in TERA that annoyed me or I thought, hmm, thats good but could have been a little better seem to have been addressed in Blade & Soul.

I really hope Blade & Soul makes EU release as although I love TERA and think it is the future of the genre, I would rather play Blade & Soul as it just has a better feeling overall. Like its just that little bit more polished and little bit more well thought out. There both amazing games, but Blade & Soul is better.
  16. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

You just have a korean fetish aspira ;)
  17. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

I do indeed like the Asian Fantasy theme when it comes to gaming.
  18. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

yet he didnt phone her!
  19. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

can you swim in this game?
  20. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

*Cough* Blade & Soul has swimming :evil:

original: #131