Beta Keys

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Selenus, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

Anyone know any rituals to appease the Interwebs deities that send out beta keys? Sacrifice rituals welcome.

Failing that, anyone heard when there's more beta keys being sent out? Been busy with my mother visiting to haven't had the time to be online much for the past 2 weeks.
  2. Offline

Felby Community Member

3. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

all i know is that a new build is being deployed right now and the test servers are down atm
  4. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

poor goats, if Felby is on his 14th already how many goats have been slaughtered for this?
  5. Offline

Balmung Veteran BOON

I gave up hoping for a beta key. been active on swtor.com for almost 2 years now, registered preorder the day it got available...*sigh* if i didnt get one by now i never will :nah:
  6. Offline

Kephir Veteran BOON

I signed up like 9 months ago didnt preorder before i got my beta key and never posted or browsed the site after signing up : D
  7. Offline

Saul Community Member

Your not making friends you know :)
  8. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

People like you are the wrong demographic. You will buy it no matter how shit or good it is so your opinions on how to improve the game to increase sales are less valid.

The people who have been getting beta keys are people who signed up late, and not thought anything more of the game til an invite shows up.

We are the demographic who will be more likely to be swung based on what we see not just OMG ITSH SHTAR WARSH GUIZE!
    therefore our opinions matter more to BW as pandering to us increases sales over just the die hards.

Sorry but thats what makes most sense imo.
  9. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

I hate to tell you all folks, but getting into the SWTOR beta is a lottery. There is no criteria that will help you get in faster, the specs of your godly machine won't help, the length of time that you have been on the website won't either etc etc etc

Sacrificing goats on the other hand has just as much chance of getting you in as winning Euromillions!
  10. Offline

Maskerad Veteran BOON

Actually I reckon a good solid way to make sure you get in is have unconventional hardware, as they probably want to test it on as wide range of that as possible.

Bring out those AGP Graphics-cards, bros.
  11. Offline

Balmung Veteran BOON

now that u mention it, a girl from my WoW raid is using a laptop for gaming and shes got a key...hmpf...still emo tho /emoslashwrists
  12. Offline

Balmung Veteran BOON

I'm pretty sure there's certain criteria considered when distributing beta access - like hardware, language, timezone, age, gender - and spread even among em. I'm proly matching those criterias with the highest count :(
  13. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

I assure you there isn't! As I said previously it is a lottery :( (insider knowledge here)
  14. Offline

Balmung Veteran BOON

Can your insider knowledge get me a beta key?? plz plz plz a cherry ontop O:)
  15. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

It can't even get me one, so the answer for you is most definitely no, sorry :(
  16. Offline

Balmung Veteran BOON

its ok I still like you
  17. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

There goes another goat. Maybe I should consider something else? :D

By the way Fizzee, while I entirely agree with part of your statement, there's also the fact that the bigger fanbois are more likely to exhaustively bug-hunt and report during beta because they'll automatically feel more connected to the community and to the product, rather than the undecided gamer who might just be trying out the beta to make up his mind whether to buy the game or not.
  18. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

I have to agree with this tbph. Sounds about right and true.
  19. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Perhaps you'll win the lottery instead of getting into the beta now.
  20. Offline

Tendo Community Member

I assume the invitations have several "layers" of key factors that matter to be invited if it works the same as other MMO invitations.

One layer is the hardware you have. You can be sure that they send for example 20-25% of a round of invites to specific people who meet the spec requirements they are after. They need to test their game on different hardware specs, this is one way of doing it.

Second layer is participation. That's probably around 10-15% of the round invites as they want active people with updated knowledge on their game to play in beta's. They are easier aware of a type of bug and if things are working the way they should be etc. Instead of a random guy who never read anything about the announcements so far and thinks a certain effect of a skill is a bug (oh yes that happens shitloads that people report normal gameplay things as a bug). MVP's for example will get an easier beta invite.

Third layer: "famous" people. People who worked their way up the ladders in a certain branch of gaming like for example Day9 guy who was casting at Blizzcon, started with nothing more than a "podcast" and look at him now. Those people have incredibly knowledge about gaming, strategy development and so on and their knowledge is most certainly used in testing. (1-5%)

Fourth: Guild wide invitations. To test out bigger more organized things like raids, the guild system and so on. (30%)

Fifth: randomizer: Random invites. This is probably the biggest pool and will be around 40% of the round invites if not more. Just a simple lottery system.

This might not be 100% accurate for BW procedures but been told that by other game developers before, so I assume the "red tape" will be followed.