best 120gb ssd drive you can buy.

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by adagio, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Offline

adagio Moderator

Looking to upgrade my old 40gb ssd to a new 120gb version. Just checking which ones you guys would recommend?
  2. Offline

Balmung Veteran BOON

[IMG]

check the prices and see what ur happy with :) I'd proly go for the ocz vertex 3 or the corsair force gt, they get the best scores in the 120gb tier iirc ^^
  3. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Yeah but if you look reliability wise and price/performance wise you end up with the Crucial M4. Otherwise it would be Samsung's new series.
  4. Offline

Balmung Veteran BOON

be aware that crucial is a branch of micron, which also provide all the parts for samsungs SSDs :p micron was very late to jump on the SSD bandwagon with their crucial brand, mainly because they provide the parts for other big SSD producers and are likely to be out of the SSD buisness again before your warranty runs out...just sayin :p
  5. Offline

adagio Moderator

Decided on 2xCrucial M4 in a raid config. Let you know how they work after installing at the weekend.
  6. Offline

Tal The Architect

I don't think TRIM works in raid for those SSDs.
  7. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

No it does not, not even manual trimming as it will only show a few SMART value's.
  8. Offline

adagio Moderator

And in English that means?
  9. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

It tells the operating system of blocks of data that are no longer in use. Prevents the SSD from becoming slower in a later stage. The TRIM command just hasn't been added to RAID yet, so until they do it won't work in RAID.

Short version: in Raid the SSD degrades much faster. (Performance wise)
  10. Offline

Tal The Architect

Intel have released some sort of TRIM support for RAID though? I thought I read that somewhere. I'm a bit behind with the SSD market.
  11. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Don't believe that works with 2 SSD's in raid yet. Just HDD's in raid with an SSD.

From what I read over at a few newspages is that the functionality will launch together with Windows 8 (Intel RST 11.5)
  12. Offline

adagio Moderator

did a benchmark test first on my old ssd which was getting old.

[IMG]

Now I'm not sure this is right but these are the benchmarks I got from 2 x crucial m4's in raid.

[IMG]

going to look for other benchmark programs to see if that is correct.
  13. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

That looks good.
  14. Offline

Balmung Veteran BOON

looks goody good, here the one from my single corsair 120gb in atto

[IMG]

but I'd like to see a result from AS SSD benchmark if possible adagio ^^ thankies
  15. Offline

adagio Moderator

16. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Seriously fast that.
  17. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Sweet, now Adagio can host all our game servers.
  18. Offline

Balmung Veteran BOON

very impressive :) too bad TRIM doesnt work yet or i woulda gone for a raid too...need Win8 :D
  19. Offline

Saul Community Member

Awesome Speeds there Adagio.. thats one M4 right must invest in one myself.
  20. Offline

adagio Moderator

It's two m4s in a raid config. Still not sure I have it set up right in bios. But it works and PhotoShop is now a instant load instead of waiting like a whole 10 secs :p