Aspira check this!

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Fozia, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Offline

Fozia Veteran BOON

2. Offline

Gurtholfin Veteran BOON

All they need to build is the Mount and Blade engine and it'd be pretty good!
  3. Offline

Gizmodio Community Member

Wow, Turbine still making expansions for that game, i would never have guessed that...
  4. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

It sells. The shop sells like mad. And pve heroes love the game cause come on, let's face it, IT'S MOTHERFUCKING LOTR <3
  5. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

That looks amazing Fozia, however I wont be playing it.

I went back to Lotro last year now that it has gone free to play and I have to say I did not enjoy it at all. The microtransaction model they use is so insanely intrusive into the game that unless you actually run a sub, you couldn't do anything. I am not sure of the current setup, but when I went back to replay, if you payed the normal sub, you got unlimted content access, if you played f2p, you got limited content access.

What this meant was I ended up going to pick up a quest and being told that if I wanted to do the quest, I would have to buy it for like 1 euro. I could only access a small amount of the dungeons etc. etc.

Basically, the game was not f2p and the changes they had made to it since I played it for over a year at release made it no longer the game I remember.
  6. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

In all fairness, no mmo gone "f2p" game lets you truly enjoy free to play. Not even Everquest2, which has the most content for free at the moment.

That being said, you really can do everything up until Angmar without ever touching the store, which is probably what they deem enough for someone to decide whether they actually want to play the game properly or not.

I suppose the problem is that "f2p" is a rather large misnomer as people expect to be able to play the -whole- game for free. Sure, you can, but you'll have to live with a nerfed character and massive grinds to unlock zone quests. But it is still true to the given category of "free", just extremely inconvenient.

Since Time = Money, the main problem with their model is that the amount of time needed to accomplish certain things that are just given to you on a subscription is immense, making just subscribing far more appealing. They need to reduce the grind/points needed for some quest packs. But as far as I know, Turbine is flourishing money wise now, as it has all the subscriptions that Codemasters used to have in Europe for DDO and LoTRO.