Arma 2 - Day-Z

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by adagio, May 15, 2012.

Welcome to the BOON Control Community!
You're currently viewing our site as a guest user. or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions - as well as removing advertisements!

1. Offline

adagio Moderator

A mate of mine is a avid soldier sim player and recently talked about this mod. I had a butchers and its like the old days of mods where good ideas came out and worked.

The game is based a round a persistant world where a Zombie outbreak has taken over and you are just left to survive. You need food to survive but this can only be found in towns where you are at the mercy of other players. They can steal, hunt and kill you and if you die thats it, you have to start again from scratch. The average life expectency on the server is at the moment 4hrs 59mins and so far 46000 unique players have taken part in the mod. There have been a total of 425828 characters created with only 42000 left alive with 6k being bandits. 74k of deaths have been murders by the bandits. it seems an interesting concept for a mod to take on and one hopefully that that will spread to different engines.

http://www.dayzmod.com/
  2. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Looks pretty cool. ARMA 2 is such a great game let down by such a Shiite engine.

Hope that someone eventually takes the ARMA ideas and put a decent engine and AI behind it. That would make this mod immense.
  3. Offline

adagio Moderator

I know one bloke made this but the arma engine is such a terrible engine it should be scrapped for the upcoming arma 3. This idea in the hands of dice and the bf3 engine would be immense.
  4. Offline

Juggernaught Community Member

Itis indeed a very fun idea, sadly after playing about 7 hours I feel thats its very frustrating and uneventful.
    Since spawn points are completely random you could end up on opposite sides of a huge map from your mates and it takes ages to run.

It really lacks alot when it comes to being fun imo.
  5. Offline

adagio Moderator

Is that more due to using the arma engine or poor programing decisions?
  6. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Ok, I've picked up the mod and will give it a good play this weekend. If any of you fancy joining me that would be cool.
    You need Arma 2 (free version works aparently) and the Operation Arrowhead standalone game plus the mod. OA is £15 on steam, or buy the full arma 2 and OA (combined ops) for £25.

Pretty good value as despite the horrible engine, ARMA 2 is a great game.
  7. Offline

Juggernaught Community Member

Id think its the engine that restricts it sadly. Since there are no real teams everone is considered a team of their own and therefore get a separete spawn.