ArcheAge KR switching to F2P

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Acina, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/12/archeage-going-f2p-in-korea-on-july-3/

We still haven't gotten any inkling from XLGAMES or Trion regarding ArcheAge's western business model. A freemium model of some sort is probably a safe bet, though, particularly now that the Korean version of the game -- which launched as a subscription-only title -- is gearing up for a F2P switch.

MMO Culture reports that, starting July 3rd, ArcheAge Korea will cease selling time cards in favor of premium 30- and 90-day packages that offer in-game advantages like faster labor point recovery, item exchange vouchers, the ability to own a house, and assorted buffs. The site also says that XL will implement account services like name changes, aesthetic changes, and server transfers.
  2. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Well this doesn't bode well for the western version from Trion - especially as their catalog is all currently F2P.

The below smacks somewhat of P2W, especially as labour points are king and anyway to circumnavigate them will result in a higher chance to win over others!

3. Offline

Law Community Member

So sick of f2p games now.
  4. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Wow...What a killer. It's like I won't even touch this if Wildstar isn't a complete failure (phat chance brah).
  5. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Labour points are pretty major.

Giving paying players an increased income of them over non-paying players is almost as crazy as giving paying players a +1000DPS on their weapons over non-paying players.

If that is in the EU/NA version then I doubt I will play it. I mean, I would pay so it wouldn't affect me, but I dislike the idea of pay to win, and buffing labour point income (the main crafting resource) in a game that is completely centered around crafting is pretty damn silly.
  6. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Yup, it's as crazy as a bag of cats!
  7. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

another fail mmorpg
  8. Offline

Law Community Member

Set sail for fail!

Pay2Play has always been the best format but the kids of today want.... it to be easy, has to have a OP class/hero/twat, game has to be free2play but with cheap cashshop pay2win.
    Right now I am more happy paying for Bonus's in Dota2 and small cosmetic items than playing a MMO where I will waste hundreds of pounds on F2P games with cashshops.

Giveme the 100+m euro lotto this friday and I will design a decent Pay2Play MMO called "WhackDaFish"
  9. Offline

Angelo Community Member

Sorry but Pay2Play or Free2Play has nothing to do with games being easy or having OP classes. It's really not the fault of the younger generation that they've been spoilt with the numerous F2P titles, It's the companies making the games who just have sometimes picked the easiest way to continue making profits.