Age of Empire online

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Fallanx, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

2. Offline

Nerien "Bad Boy"

Been trying it a bit.
    Basic game play feels similar to the Age of Empires II so I'm happy.
    Planning to try out going further in since I'm only lvl 3 so far on the main map.
  3. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

Installing it now, hopefully as good as stronghold kingdom.
  4. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Level 6 so far, it's good fun, similar to AoE 2 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
  5. Offline

Specter Veteran BOON

doing it.
  6. Offline

Miyo Community Member

gonna test it today :p
  7. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

i have been a closed beta tester to this game for some time. It is good fun
  8. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

1. If you haven’t already done so, download the Games for Windows – LIVE client at: http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Download/
    2. Once the Games for Windows — LIVE software has been installed, go to the Start menu, click Microsoft Games for Windows — LIVE, and then click Games for Windows — LIVE to start the software.
    3. Sign in with the Windows Live ID associated with the gamertag you want to use when playing Age of Empires Online. (To get a free Windows Live ID or gamertag through Xbox.com, go here.)
    I am not happy... so install another pile of "Steam" shit, yeah Steams days are numbered if MS and others are gunning for the lets take over thier freedom markets and shove ourselves down thier throat at least 10 dollar whores get 10 dollars for it... wtf the world is coming after our online gaming freedom... be as well playing consoles insert disks and agree to whatever shit we decide for you without asking or telling you. I refuse to install more third party software to allow me to play a fucken game FU mofoers... no wonder we always have to upgrade computers to carry all the bullshit running in backgrounds that we don't need. ..I..

(ps I enjoyed that rant)
  9. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

That's enough to make me not play this.
  10. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

Agree with you Chops, its unneeded and can only work negatively. If people really want 3rd party software then let them download it at their own leasure instead of having to force certain games on an unneeded extra platform. GFWL is the worst example, and Steam the best example but neither should be forced upon you.
  11. Offline

Tal The Architect

I actually think Steam is fantastic, probably one of the main things that keeps PC gaming alive.

If Steam prices were the same as buying the physical media I would definitely look to buy everything on Steam. Unfortunately it's more expensive for some reason.
  12. Offline

Mizou Community Member

just wait for the deals, steam cuts off prices alot after a few weeks/month. 50% is kinda usual
  13. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Steam has a point though. The friends and chat system is like old school MSN messenger but for gamers, it keeps all your games in the one place no matter what computer you are on and the deals are by far the best deals anywhere.... the Christmas deals were just zomg.

Games for Windows Live is just some piece of shit xbox360 inspired heap of wank that nobody wants. The reason I stopped playing the DoW series was because of Games for Windows Live.
  14. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

Yeah but Steam are doing the same crap too we had to buy a game via it too recently? DC Universe? or something I was pissed because i had to go install Steam again and all that crap just lets us;

Go to game website > Click Buy Game > Enter Payment Option > Download FAST! > Play.... Thats all, its not too much to ask why force all this other shit on us, /sniff.
  15. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

I can say I like steam at the moment, good deals sometimes and it keeps most of the people I play with in 1 place. However if we become fully dependant on it for whatever reason (ex: lack of competition other shops) then we have to rely on Valve being what they are now. If they end up changing business models to something like Sony they will find intrusive ways to lure/force people to consoles. (just like Microsoft is trying to do atm)

Imo there shouldn't be any games on the PC that require you to be online, be on steam or GFWL. You already have a platform right, Windows ? Isn't that forced on you already because they have the only API for the PC that's supported/compatible with modern games? Why put a platform on a platform :/

Anyway most of my dislike about steam comes from when it was still very early as the platform was very slow, they improved it and right now its fine. However they can always add whatever adds and commercials they'd like to games, integrate facebook/twitter like every company seems to be doing atm. If I didn't have to start up steam to play certain games I would not have it on my PC most likely, it's their way of making money but its intrusive.

Another thing that makes it somewhat more annoying is that when modding games you may end up with incompatible versions of steam games compared. Workarounds are hacks, link sourcing files, modmanagers etc. Steam is sort of turning the PC into a console, I am both happy and sad that there are usually 2 or more different versions of a game. Sad because it very oftenly gives compatibility issues with Mods or Multiplayer when you have Direct2Drive version of the game compared to a Steam version or a GFWL version or a Good old Games version etc, especially when they patch games. And Happy because sometimes there are still non-steam (or other version) of the games that will just always work when you're adding mods.

TLDR; I didn't need it before, why do they force me to use it??! overcomplicating things especially when other companies also bring out their own platforms.

PS: I'd love steam if it would replace Windows for me though, let Valve make their own API that replaces Direct X. Competition for the PC gaming platform for Microsoft. AKA steam as an gaming OS.
  16. Offline

Divinitas Community Member

problem with gfwl is that it includes so much shit and attempts to stop hacks etc its just shite

Latest DoW doesn't use it though aspira, don't think so anyway...

steam on the other hand is simple, easy to use, no shitty popups...great.
  17. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Ooo, interesting. I played the original DoW for about 2 weeks then uninstalled it and dropped the series purely due to the horrendous system that is games for windows live. There must be an incredible incentive for developers to integrate their game to gfwl as it is one of the worst pieces of software I have ever used.

That said.... the new windows live messenger is terrible too. I actually have friends who don't play games that much who have installed steam to purely use it as a IM client because of how shit windows live has become. Just seems Microsoft are so out of touch with the PC market these days. Trying to expand into areas they know fuck all about I think.
  18. Offline

Fallanx Tactical Veteran

gfwl sucks indeed despite running smoothly for me.
    However, on a 3rd party software point of view, its nothing compared to GameGuard hassle.
  19. Offline

Katiechops Guild Master

wash your mouth out....
  20. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

lol yea, GameGuard. It is also very easy to work around it, it doesn't actually do anything useful bar from acting as Spyware.