Advice on new MOBO/CPU please

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Spud, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Offline

Spud Community Member

Out of the PC building loop for a while, is it still true that i5 are better for gaming than i7's?

i have a budget of about £1k, but the lower i can get it the better.

Was conisedering splashing on the new ivybridge chipset for future proofing, worth the money or plump for something cheaper?

Or just fuck it and go off the shelf..... if so question 1 stands.
  2. Offline

Karasu Community Member

Yeah, Ivy Bridge Core i7-3770 or something. It's release price is way lower than many of the others and the socket is back to LGA 1155. Not sure about the current price but it's going to perform a lot better than any i5 you'll find.
  3. Offline

adagio Moderator

To be honest if its just a gaming machine on a normal 24 inch monitor. Go for a new i5 with 8-16gbs of RAM (its cheap at the moment) with a new NVIDIA 670? Which will easily handle any new game for the next 3 years.

Then its a case of mobo preference, whether you want a solid state drive and extras.

If on the other hand you like to try hd streaming or making your own vids. A i7 would be handy. I7's are still over priced considering what they are.
  4. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

Like adagio said, one of the new i5 and 8/16gb ram if you're considering playing only. For streaming/making vids/rendering, get an i7.

Graphics card, nvidia are fine but I guess I'm more partial to ATI. Go for something on the 7870 series. The Twin Frozr III is an excellent 7870 with a slight overclock that gives very nice results.

SSD make a ridiculous difference. With a 1k budget you can -definitely- fit one in. I had a £800 budget and the only thing I couldn't fit in was a SSD.

As for Mobos, get a compatible Gigabyte without onboard graphics card that supports Sata3. Not really ever been sure what makes the difference between a 100 quid mobo and a 200 quid mobo other than decent onboard sound.

Also, no harm in getting a good case for your computer. The Antec1200 v3 is a beautiful case, with excellent cooling and convenient usb3 slots. The only disadvantage is that it is slightly massive. Speaking of cooling, no harm in splashing in a better cooler than the stock cooler :)
  5. Offline

Karasu Community Member

Oh, and for the mobo consider getting 2x4 if you have dual channel and 3x2/4 GB with triple channel. Some people forget this and lose a lot of performance
  6. Offline

Spud Community Member

Thanks guys SSD is top of my shopping list this time, this is purely for gaming

Gigabyte Z77X-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard [GA-Z77X-D3H]
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-390-GI&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=2261

and this CPU:

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-404-IN&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=567

These are the main things, i wont compromise on RAM and get corsair, I dont need a huge SSD 120GB is plenty. I would like to get water cooling etc but i need new peripherals as well. (ex mrs spud smashed up G19 and samsung monitor).
  7. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

8. Offline

Spud Community Member

Corsair Carbide 500R Midi Tower Case - Black
    Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - OEM
    Intel Stock Cooler (None overclocked systems)
    Gigabyte Z77X-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
    Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB 1600MHz CAS9 Memory Kit
    Sapphire HD 7870 2048MB GDDR5
    Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM
    Sandisk Ultra SSD 120GB SATA-2 SSD
    OcUK 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black)
    OnBoard Sound Card
    OCZ ZS Series 750W PSU
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
    BitFenix Alchemy Premium Modding LED Strip - Connect Red 30cm
    TP Link 300Mbps Wireless-N USB Adapter
    Sharkoon 120mm 2000RPM Fan
    Samsung S24B300BS 24" monitor

just over £1067 anyone see any issues with this?

Figure i can update cooler when i start to worry about overclocking which i shouldnt have to for GW2. Hopefully this should be good for afew yeasr gaming.
  9. Offline

Screenager Community Member

youd e right re the cooler tbh this and the last generation of i series chips are very very power efficient really dont pump out the kind of heat where you need to worry too much about your cooling solution straight off the bat anyhow
  10. Offline

Tent Community Member

I would recommend getting a cooler now.
    The stock ones are really bad (at least for the 2xxx series), and putting it on now saves you the cleaning later.

Windows 7? no friends with a MSDN (student) account :)?

And wireless N USB?
    Why not go for a motherboard with a wireless network on board?
    (I'd go as far as to say why wireless at all, but I suppose you have your reasons)

I haven't looked at specific parts or anything I'm sure others will.
  11. Offline

Spud Community Member

Wireless cos im in a shared house..... if i can connect straight to router with a cable i will, depends on location.
    Mate i am 43 i stopped having student friends before you where born :)

I will tweak the mobo to find a wireless one though thanks for the advice. I was considering Sli on 2 cheaper gfx cards but the possibilites and choices made me dizzy so i decided against it. I will pull the trigger on this project early august in time for GW2 launch.
  12. Offline

River Community Member

Dunno about GW2, but most games I tried with SLI were not optimised and had little to no difference compared to single card, ended up selling one of the cards to reduce noise levels.
  13. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

Don't bother with SLI. All it'll give you is extra noise and the need for a stronger PSU.
  14. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Don't bother with Nvidia. All it'll give you is gayness.
  15. Offline

oh sheet sorry i skimmed the list yeah i meant you dont have to stress about water cooling but spend 15 quid on getting a non stock air cooler that do the job right now... the stocks shite
  16. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

So true, which is why I recommended a nice ATI. Seriously Spud, get a 7870, preferably the Twin Frozr III overclocked one.
  17. Offline

Spud Community Member

righto will get a better fan for 15 quid you are right, and will stick to the ATi gfx card. trying to see if i still have the disk for windows 7 on this laptop.... got a feeling ive lost it.
  18. Offline

adagio Moderator

Another reason the pc market needs to get rid of Microsoft. The stupid price of that OS and its worse than linux. If only Linux had decent drivers and a dx alternative.
  19. Offline

well whatever the arguments it wont be happening in my lifetime I wouldnt expect ;)
  20. Offline

Spud Community Member

Just bought a Titan pulse from OCUK, i5 3570 ivy bridge clocked at 4.40Ghz. Decided to get a good CPU/Mobo set simply as i needed a monitor and keyboard too, the GPU is weak sauce an Ati 5450 will support DX11. I know i wont be likely to get high settings on this which is fine, but it was better to wait a month and throw a good card in, than settle for an average card upgrade now.

A solid system plus all the peripherals at less than £900 which will easily grow for the next few years.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-247-OE&groupid=43&catid=2040&subcat=