Activision Realtime Character Face Demo

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Fizzee, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Say what you will about Activision, their R&D team is producing something pretty damn special based off NVIDIA's new "Face Works" demo which was designed to show off the Titan.
    Activision's demo was demonstrated running on a 2 year old laptop, and with a GTX680 it can manage 120FPS.... obviously with nothing else rendered... but give it a year or two!

Frozen Fruit!!!
  2. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

Quite impressive yes from a technical point of view, but im quite conflicted on this trend on chasing ultra realism on video games. Video games should be an interpretation of reality, not reality itself. Imagination keeps the player attracted to the "fantasy" world that games bring to our homes, and there is not much left to imagine when u have such a perfect reinterpretation of what we see every day.
    One example that comes into my mind is the final fantasy series: i loved the world of the older chapters, but the more the graphics improved, the more i started to lose interest on the pictured world and characters. Or maybe i was just getting old.

As much respect i have for those who made this demo, it saddens me that the role of the video game artist is getting replaced by 3d scans of actor heads, motion cap for animations, and a bit of manipulation of real life picture as diffuse maps.
  3. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

Depends on the game, L.A Noir made very good use of similar technology in order to read body language of witnesses/suspects etc..

But thats a pretty specific example of it being well-used
  4. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

I like it, would love to see more if that in games