A little boost for multithreading on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Selenus, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

http://ultimatecomputers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3644c

If you have windows 7 and a quad core (or above) CPU, sometimes it will "park" a core, causing it to idle, and send all the processing load to other cores.

By using this method, you stop windows 7 from being able to park cores and consequently making all cores available at all times for processing.

Make sure you change the value on -every- key, not just your first find.
  2. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Careful, this is not all quads and hex cores. Only ones with hyperthreading such as the i7, The i5 does not have hyperthreading and so doesn't park.
  3. Offline

TOMMCAT Veteran BOON

Hyperthreading is that turbo Frequency option which raise your CPU from 3.3 to 3.7 ( for example )?
  4. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

Kinda, basically it creates logical "cores" but windows displays them as actual cores and tries to "park" some, however due to the fact that logical cores are tied to physical ones it causes cores to stutter in games.

If you have stuttering of FPS and have a CPU with HT then do this fix, If you have an i5 or other non HT CPU you will gain nothing so not worth the effort and risk of faffing about in regedit.
  5. Offline

Selenus Veteran BOON

Yes, perhaps I should've mentioned it's not for all the intel cpus, just the ones with hyperthreading :>
  6. Offline

TOMMCAT Veteran BOON

I have an i5 -2500 with turbo technology ( to raise the frequency from 3.3 to 3.7 ). But i see that all my cores are working while running an application.
  7. Offline

Tent Community Member

As they said, the above doesn't apply.
    Turbo is not the same as hyper threading (virtual cores).
    A 2500 does not have hyper threading.
  8. Offline

Tumbleweed Community Member

I have an i7 920 and HT on/off (you can do that from BIOS) makes little to no difference. I left it off though cause I don't really need it and yeah, the core parking is annoying. If your CPU is relatively up-to-date and has HT, odds are it can handle the game very well without HT as well.
    What did make a huge difference in my case was getting it a proper cooler - make sure you got a good, clean cooler on your CPU and that your CPU doesn't overheat (the standard one that comes with the box does not fit in this category). For example mine eventually hit 80 C then it would just slow itself down for protection, making the fps drop to single-digit numbers; new cooler -> 35 C maximum temp -> 100fps (50 in zergs on low settings with Ultra LOD).
    Now if I need to squeeze even more out of it I can also up the frequency from 2.66GHz to 3GHz (minor OC) or anywhere in between and up to 4GHz (extreme OC). Not sure if that would actually do GW2 any good since they say it doesn't benefit much from overclocking, but I'm not convinced that they had lower-frequency CPUs like mine in mind when they said that.