8 Bit Music Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aspira, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

The one thing sad about video games progressing over the years is we have lost 8 bit sound, quite possibly the best thing to ever happen in the history of video games.

So....... Here is a thread where we can post up all our favourite old 8 bit video game sound tracks as well as modern day music that has been converted back into 8 bit..... which makes it sound more epic and you know it.

Old Games

Modern Music 8bit-ified

2. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

guess the most memorable for me are dr. mario which i had on the gameboy or emulator, zelda likewise and lots of other old games but some either only had music on the start screen or not at all :p. I'm not really that memorable of 8 bit and can't really care much for it, but will post em anyway. Lots of different NES games and lots sounded alike as well

dr. Mario (its actually kind of annoying now that I listen to it lol..)

Zelda (just one I randomly searched for, it has so many)

Still think pokemon is the most memorable, most catchy and played the longest of the 8 bit games.

not really 8 bit, but meh w/e. (you can actually hear instruments so no its not 8 bit..but played this on the same emulator anyway :p)

Most memorable pokemon theme (which drove my folks mad)

3. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

@Omnipresent - OMFG...

The double rainbow of the music world..... 8 bit Kpop!!!!
  4. Offline

Omnipresent Potato Farmer

5. Offline

Tvar Veteran BOON

Awesome game with probably the best gaming soundtrack ever:

Bestest early RPG I everd played! :D

Early RPG that got me hooked on the genre forever:

Such a good old school early co-op action game!

And ofcourse the epic saga ep.2 NOSTALGIA!
  6. Offline

Doodle Bush Whacker!

sadly i dont remember any 8bit intros on my very first sega. i was a bit to young =( but i have many memories from my mega drive but thats 16bit so i'll just link this awesome game of thrones 8bit intro
  7. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

I banged this out just for you @Aspira :

8. Offline

Alaisy Veteran BOON

somehow that makes it sound even more dramatic :rofl: (wtf @ 1:08, an 8 bit machinegun?)
  9. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Yeh, I seem to have a couple of erroneous midi notes in there, I'll clean it up when I get home :)
  10. Offline

Fizzee Veteran BOON

What a great tune... not sure 8bitifying it did it much good, but not much harm either.
  11. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

@Acina - You banged it out for me...... ewwwwww.

On a side note, what did you use to make it ?
  12. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

An app on the iPad.
  13. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Called ?

(I can possibly acquire an ipad)
  14. Offline

Ketz Veteran BOON

Turrican=Pure gold

lol and a few years before Manowar used this as a cover for Kings of Metal
    [IMG]
  15. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

MusicStudio, don't tell Akemi she beat you with a cricket bat if you get an iPad!
  16. Offline

Angelo Community Member

17. Offline

Aspira Admin Officer

Nah I'm not gona buy one, there is one in my house already that isn't mine but I can borrow it.
  18. Offline

Acina Admin Officer

Ahhh. Go buy one, you know you want to :p
  19. Offline

Allstar Just A "Member"

Okay wow, this thread.

Okay.

Thankfully, the chiptune scene is bigger than ever right now, so tons of independant artists are making amazing shit.

8BitCollective is a decent site if you look hard enough, for every 10 average songs there are 1 or 2 absolute gems.

For purists, Kohina.com is absolutely outstanding, one of my favourite places on the whole internet (please donate if you spend any amount of time there, these guys need all the love they can get).

Alternatively Rainwave is another amazing site, although a little more use-intensive.

I have either Kohina or Rainwave streaming pretty much at all times when I'm at home, enjoy :D

Also, obligatory 8bit cutsey-tune

..also also

Someone needs to buy me one of these

Or one of these..

(This thread pretty much made my day, thanks <3)
  20. Offline

F U R I E Veteran BOON

Someone today opened the pandora box, with this and the other thread.